Thread: Broadheads Fixed Vs. mechanical

Post Thanks / Like

Default Broadheads Fixed Vs. mechanical

i just wanna know what your guys opinions are on fixed blade broadheads, compared to mechanical. I myself shoot a SlickTrick 100 Magnum, and they fly just like my field points. I tried mechanicals last year and on 3 shots i had, all with in 25 yards, i had only one pass-through and that was the only kill i got out of them, the mechanical i used was a Rage 2-blade. In my opnion if you wanna kill more deer, elk, bear, or what ever it is that you are hunting for, always go with a fixed blade. But im open to hear your guy's opinions

dbd870

I'm thinking you won't get everyone to agree on this topic, but I prefer a fixed blade as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Hence i have no experience i can only say that fixed broadheads seem to be better for me. They are fixed so there is nothing beside the blade that can fail. If you use mechanical broadheads there is always some more things that can fail. Maybe it will not but if it does it is not good.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

I have always preferred fixed, too, or should I say replaceable blade heads. I have nothing against mechanicals as such. Just that I always shoot lighter weight than many guys and can't see using any energy to deploy the blades.

The other reason is that I'm an arrogant SOB. A well tuned bow can and will shoot both target points and broadheads to the same POI. I can always get it done and ain't no bow/arrow combination gonna beat me at my game. I'll tweak and tweak and tweak till I get the results I want.

Post Thanks / Like

That is exactly what i tell everyone that shoots mechanicals, just about any bow/arrow combination can make field points and broadheads fly exactly the same, the bow just has to be well tuned

Highlander

Question

I use G5 Montechs and they seem to fly better than my field points. I usually make better shots with broadheads

dbd870

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    I use G5 Montechs and they seem to fly better than my field points. I usually make better shots with broadheads
    That's not a bad problem to have! (Unless you're primarily a target shooter!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    My broadheads often group better than my target poits too----until I climb into a tree. Then the brain farts a big one. LOL.

dbd870

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    My broadheads often group better than my target poits too----until I climb into a tree. Then the brain farts a big one. LOL.
    Funny how that works; must be the lack of oxygen at the higher elevation.