Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: martin saber 50lb bow questions

flintforever

Default martin saber 50lb bow questions

I just came across the martin saber seem to be a bow that will fit my needs.
    I went to there home page a see the new design cams for easy drawing.
    I would like to get back into bow hunting this year I had neck surgery last dec:07 and drawing the bow is a main issue for me.I also see there bow peak weight are not adjustable 50,60 70 lbs am i correct or can the weight be adjusted by turning the limb screw in or out.
    I was looking at the 50lb max more then enough for deer hunting .I like the longer brace height and the over all price on the bow will not break the bank.
    Speed: 310 (70#, 30, 350 gr.)
    Let-Off: 80% (optional 65%)
    Draw Lengths: 25-30
    Brace Height: 7.5
    Weight: 4 lbs.
    Axle Length: 32
    I wonder if they have the spec: on a 50 lbs max;
    I like to know how the draw length is adjustable I see the newer model bow have modular on draw length how is the martin set up to change draw length
    I like to here from guy that own the bow what are your reviews on the bow?

flintforever

Default martin:

I forgot to ask what is martin warranty on the bow??

Post Thanks / Like

Martin offers Lifetime Warranty. After 10 Years 50% of the list price.

The draw weight can be adjustet by turning the limb bolt out. The draw weight range is 15lbs. If you get a 50lbs bow you can turn it down to 35lbs.
    I guess the speed with 50lbs and 30" could be around 250 or something around that. You would have to use a chronograph to see what is the real speed.

If you buy a news martin bow you will get the whole set of modules to change the draw length. Just remove the old module and change to the one that will fit for your draw length.

Never owned the bow.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

dbd870

The MPro cam is a very gentle cam and should work well for your situation. Have a couple of MPro cammed bows but not the Saber.

Post Thanks / Like

Try one out at a shop. You'll love the draw cycle and the bow that comes with it.

By the way. What did you have done to your neck? I have had 3 surgeries on mine in the last 15 years so maybe we have something in common.

flintforever

Default neck surgery

I had C5 threw C7 removed
    I still have one more bad disc C3 but the surgeon did remove the spurs on C3
    I have one small plate in the center of my neck held in place with 3 screws from C4 to C7 (fiber wad on a plate) and they went threw the front total time was 2 hours and I was home the next day
    The pain is about 60 percent better more live able then before and 1/2 the medicine then I use too take
    I still have good days and bad day but a whole lot better then what it use to be;I think I went for about 8 years tried everything out there surgery was the last resort
    I starting to have lower back pain (which I never had) and purchased a inversion table all I can say the best $120.00 bucks I ever spent
    I taken a lot of deer with the bow up until 1999 and i feel a lot better and even ask the Dr. about getting back into some bow hunting :He says just don't over do it and you will be fine.I just got back into shooting my flinters using a down loaded charge of 65 grains of black powder also the PAST RECOIL PAD which helps a lot.
    I had the surgery done on DEC:2007 can't tell you what pain i went threw some days
    I am 61 now exercise 3 time a week (light) just to tone the muscles and getting back into shape
    The scary part for me I never been in a hospital until last year operation.

flintforever

Default Martin saber

I had to be 3 hours to night in the pro shop looking at the martin saber and I did purchase it seem to be a smooth drawing bow but a tad on extra bow weight compared to the parker but $200.00 cheaper I can live with that.
    The pro shop set the bow up paper tuned change modular to a 28" draw set peak weight to 50 lbs and i shot the bow at 20 yards 3 shots in the bull;not bad for not picking up a bow in 10 years.
    I just seem to get my timing back and get a little more steady with my bow arm but practice I will improve : I like the bow and few FPS slower then the cheeta also is $50.00 more added to the package
    He did give me a good package deal better then the package that comes from the factory.
    He did add true glow 5 pin sight,true glow arrow holder (5 shafts) ,martin wisker B rest,Sims limb saver shock stabilizer and wrist rope,and 1/2 doz shaft with tips 100 grain,peep sight ,string leeches
    Arrows he set me up with beman 400 at 29 1/4" 8.4 gpi I seem to have to add 1 1/4" only because I anchor under my chin and use a kisser button so I get a little more on the draw
    $440.00
    I have to think what broad head to use I like and use the thunderheads 125 grain and had good luck with the laser pro from cabelas:I shot the thunderheads for years and have to say they shoot excellent never did plane on me
    I will be looking for a 100 grain broad head

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds to me like the deal was pretty good. Go with it.

Now do your self anther favor. Take off and go over to www.archerytalk.com. Check out a lot of "shooting form" threads, but particular attention to advice from a guy uses the name Nut&Bolts. He's a real guru on shooting form.

Reason I mention this is because of what you said about your draw length. One of the most critical things about getting the best accuracy and ease of drawing is getting your draw length down to a Tee. By that I mean within
    1/4". Most people draw much too long and this throws the upper body out of alignment. This all carries over and affects the spine, meaning lower back. It also affects how much you use your neck muscles.

The reason I mention all this is because I know. I shoot a great deal and have learned this the hard way.

So what's going on with your neck? Decenerative disk disease? An injury? I just had my latest surgery July 19, 2007. Similar to yours. Went in the front and removed the disk between C5 & C6. Bone chip and a titanium plate holding the vertebre together. In 2000 they went in the back and cleaned out bone spurs on 3 disks. 1993 they did the first surgery and fused C4 & C5 together. 2005 they did 3 disks in the lower back. 2006 I had arthroscopy on the right knee. OH, I didn't say it but I just turned 61 myself so I'm quite familar with getting old and the body going to hell.

As if the neck thing last year wasn't bad enough I suffered bout of Acute Brachial Plexus Neuritis which led to about a 40% loss of my left Deltoid muscles and shoulder. This time last year I was struggling with a 15# compound bow and shooting 18" groups at 15 yards. Today I'm back up to around 45# and the groups are in the 2"" range at 20 yards. Thinking about it, the hard cams on my FireCat would probably be the equivalent of shooting about a 55# MPro cam so it's not that bad. I got the speed without all the weight.

It's been a long road back and the surgeon says it will be about another 1 to 1 1/2 years till I get my total strength back. I'm not complaining. This is just the hand that fate dealt me. Just relting this so you would have an idea that I definitely can relate to the pain and suffering you have gone through and may still be experiencing.

So as long as you started coming to this site. You may as well stick around. You're among friends here, so to speak.

Hope you enjoy your new bow. It is a pretty good value.

flintforever

Default neck

Decenerative disk disease of the cervical

Post Thanks / Like

Hey if you are looking for a great broadhead go with a Slick Trick, they fly just like my field points, i didnt have to adjust my sights or my rest for the slicktricks