Thread: New Firecat

hrtlnd164

Default New Firecat

Alright guys I just picked up a Firecat at Worlds. It's my first ever Martin and I've been a single cam shooter for about 8 years. I do all my own work and I am looking for any tuning info to bring out the best in this bow. I already checked the cam timing. axle to axle is 32 1/4 brace at 7". I read somewhere that you should set the distance from the string to the cable post at about 1/8". Mine is at about a 1/4 now. Any info is appreciated. By the way I just can't put this thing down. Sure doesn't shoot like a short speed bow...

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't done a super tune on mine yet. There is a pretty good thread on Archery Talk about optimizing cam timing and such. Can't remember the exact thread. Try a search.

hrtlnd164

Thanks bfisher. I found that thread this morning and did some tweaking. I have it to where I am pretty happy with it now. After tuning the bump isn't quite so harsh on rollover and I picked up about 7 fps. I am getting 294 through the chrono @ 61#- 271/2" draw and a 324 grain arrow. I shot this bow for the first time yesterday aand was amazed at the accuracy of a 32" axle bow even at 50 yards I was getting consistant 3-5" groups. Hopefully with some more knowledge of the bow and some more tuning I can tighten that up some.

Post Thanks / Like

Great to hear that. Maybe i will own a firecat in some 3 years or so.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

hrtlnd164

Just an update.. did more searching on archerytalk and found a few more tips. Went to 28" draw and set stop for about 65% letoff. Added a couple more twists in cables to close the gap to a little over 1/8" from string to posts and picked up 10 more FPS. 28" draw 63# chronoed at 285fps with 383 grain arrow and 304fps with a 324grain arrow. Now I have to quit tuning and just enjoy shooting this thing...

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of wish they'd make a version about 38" long and the 7" brace height. Although I'm only 5'8", shooting a 26.5" draw I still like a longer A2A bow. But then I've got some problems and wouldn't be able to handle the extra mass weight of a longer riser. There are always tradeoffs in this sport.

As I said, I've got some physical problems that will take another year to iron out, but presntlyI'm shooting mine at 26.5" draw and only 45#. Shooting a 267gr arrow set up for 3D it's still doing 278 fps, which is quite acceptable to me at present. Once I'm back to strength I should be able to stretch out to 27" again and bottom my limbs at 53# and expect speeds in the 290's.

That should put my hunting setup right near 280 fps.

Who said that us short draw guys can't get any speed? Martin found a way.

hrtlnd164

Yeah, thats exactly what I've been shooting for the last 3 years in an Apex7. I was looking for something a little faster for 3-d and something a little more suited for treestand hunting. I shot numerous bows and the Martin was the only one I would have considered. The FC is fast, sets rock solid for a short bow, and most of all very accurate. Once I found the tuning info it was easy to super tune for performance. I will shoot this bow for hunting and IBO 3-d and shoot my Apex7 for spots and ASA 3-d. Actually I may use the Cat for ASA also and shoot my 2512's. They chronoed at 268 and would be wonderful linecutters. So nice to have options....

Post Thanks / Like

I guess you already have the 2512's. Otherwise I'd point you toward 2312's. You're not giving up much diameter, but the speed increase for ASA would most likely put you right at the top.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hrtlnd164

Could you post the link on AT that you looked at. Thanks, Kenny

hrtlnd164

Hey Kenny. The site is http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...hlight=firecat
    also just search Firecat in the general information forum, there is all kinds of interesting info. Good luck and let me know if you need any other info. Mark.