Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Limb question on 2008 Martin Slayer

  1. #1
    plemdog
    Guest

    Default Limb question on 2008 Martin Slayer

    I was going to reply to one of the other threads, but it wouldn't let me.

    I just purchased a slightly used 2008 Martin Slayer on Ebay. It seems to be shooting fine and I am in the process of fine tuning it. One thing that bothers me a little is how much the limbs show when they are tightened down all the way. On my magcat, the ends of limbs by the nut would not be visible at all after tightening them down. On my Slayer, almost all of the end of the limb is visible. What's worse is that they are not equally visible.

    I've measured the tiller and they are very close. The limbs say 3H on them. Here's a link to some pictures of my bow: http://picasaweb.google.com/plemmons...ayerExtremePro

    Thanks,

    STeve

  2. #2
    logtamelk
    Guest

    Default Sniped?

    I was just bidding on a used 08' Slayer on Ebay about 2 weeks ago and got sniped with 4 seconds to go on the bidding, man my heart was racing and I was pissed!!

    I think the winning bid was $361. Was that you? It was a camoflauged 08' model 45-60lbs.

    Oooh!! I think it was you, I just looked at the pictures of your bow!! I hope you feel an imense guilt trip every single time you pull that bow back. That bow was going to be a gift for a terminaly ill little boy that I know!!!

    Anyway I hope you enjoy the bow and let me know how it shoots. If that is the same bow, you got it at a good price (and I thought that I was going to get it at a good price!)

    You do know that I was joking about the terminaly ill little boy but you still will be my enemy for life!!

    Oh Yeah, are there any spots on your riser where the aluminum is cut out that is not painted camoflauge? I noticed this on the 08' Slayer that my Martin dealer has.
    Last edited by logtamelk; 08-19-2008 at 10:31 AM. Reason: added information

  3. #3
    plemdog
    Guest

    Talking Small world

    Small world, although it makes sense that you would be on here. It sounds like we were, in fact, bidding on the same bow. I won't rub it in too much, but I did get the bow for a great price. It shoots really nice. It's a little heavier than my last bow and that will take some getting used to.

    There was another guy selling a #70 on craigs list for about $600. If you are interested, I could try to point you at the posting.

  4. #4
    plemdog
    Guest

    Default riser

    There are no spots on the riser that are not painted in camo.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator bfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Middletown, Pa, USA
    Posts
    11,548
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by logtamelk View Post
    I was just bidding on a used 08' Slayer on Ebay about 2 weeks ago and got sniped with 4 seconds to go on the bidding, man my heart was racing and I was pissed!!

    I think the winning bid was $361. Was that you? It was a camoflauged 08' model 45-60lbs.

    Oooh!! I think it was you, I just looked at the pictures of your bow!! I hope you feel an imense guilt trip every single time you pull that bow back. That bow was going to be a gift for a terminaly ill little boy that I know!!!

    Anyway I hope you enjoy the bow and let me know how it shoots. If that is the same bow, you got it at a good price (and I thought that I was going to get it at a good price!)

    You do know that I was joking about the terminaly ill little boy but you still will be my enemy for life!!

    Oh Yeah, are there any spots on your riser where the aluminum is cut out that is not painted camoflauge? I noticed this on the 08' Slayer that my Martin dealer has.
    I took a look at your pictures. Thankyou for that. They are good and detailed. Are you sure the limb bolts are bottomed out? The limbs should fit deeper into the pockets.

    Couple things come to mind. Possible the limb bolts are too long (somebody changed them?) and they are bottoming out in the riser. Second thought- maybe the riser wasn't drilled out deep enough in the first place ( I have doubts about this).

    Any way you can measure anything? Like from the bottom of the limb pocket where it meets the riser to the head of the limb bolt? Eyeball it close. Then disassemble the bow and put the limb bolt back in. Run it in till it bottoms and measure again. Compare the two.

    Pay attention to how many turns it takes to aleviate the pressure from the limbs. Maybe shorter limb bolts will work.

  6. #6
    logtamelk
    Guest

    Default Small world

    Yes it is a small world afterall!! Thanks for the answer about the paint job; I did think the one I looked at had a poor paint job. I do want a 70# and not a 60# but that deal was too good to pass on. I'll hold off on the craig's list guy; probably trade my P3 in to my dealer and get one from him or hold out until 09'.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator bfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Middletown, Pa, USA
    Posts
    11,548
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I can't believe how stupid I can be sometimes. There's a quick and easy way to bottom those limbs. It won't be all that pretty, but it will work. Just put a couple 3/8" spacers under the ones already on the bow. You know. Those black washers between the limb and the head of the limb bolt. Maybe another set just like them from your dealer.

    That doesn't halp with what appears to be the limb being tilted in the pocket though. Maybe you'll see something else when you remove the limbs. Mabe a limb rocker is out of position or something.

  8. #8
    plemdog
    Guest

    Unhappy limb bolts

    Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I took a look at your pictures. Thankyou for that. They are good and detailed. Are you sure the limb bolts are bottomed out? The limbs should fit deeper into the pockets.

    Couple things come to mind. Possible the limb bolts are too long (somebody changed them?) and they are bottoming out in the riser. Second thought- maybe the riser wasn't drilled out deep enough in the first place ( I have doubts about this).

    Any way you can measure anything? Like from the bottom of the limb pocket where it meets the riser to the head of the limb bolt? Eyeball it close. Then disassemble the bow and put the limb bolt back in. Run it in till it bottoms and measure again. Compare the two.

    Pay attention to how many turns it takes to aleviate the pressure from the limbs. Maybe shorter limb bolts will work.
    Well, if you think that the limbs should fit deeper into the pockets, I'm probably going to take it back to a dealer and have them take a look. I don't have a bow press and want to make sure that the string gets put back on correctly.

    Does anyone else here have the 2008 60# slayer with the limbs tightened all the way down that could either post or send me pics to compare? I've been looking at pictures on the web, but most of them are not closeups of the area that I am concerned with.

  9. #9
    plemdog
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by logtamelk View Post
    Yes it is a small world afterall!! Thanks for the answer about the paint job; I did think the one I looked at had a poor paint job. I do want a 70# and not a 60# but that deal was too good to pass on. I'll hold off on the craig's list guy; probably trade my P3 in to my dealer and get one from him or hold out until 09'.
    Yeah, I wanted the 70# too, but bought this one because of the price. What I'm finding though is that this bow is so much faster than my old bow even at 60# that it's not really a big deal. That and I will have easier draw and be able to hold draw longer in the stand.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,007
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You may try this picture?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •