Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Limb question on 2008 Martin Slayer

plemdog

Thanks for the pic. I think that if you compare that to mine: http://picasaweb.google.com/plemmons...39407174155442, there is definitely something about mine that is not correct.

Post Thanks / Like

Yepp.

The limbs on my RazorX look the same like yours. But my limb bolts are backed out around 3 turns.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

plemdog

Default Limb Problem?

OK guys, I bought a cheap bow press and took my bow apart tonight. The reason that the limb would not tighten all the way down into the limb pocket is because there were two plastic washers on the limb bolt between the limb and the limb pocket.

Here are pictures of the bottom of my limb, the inside of the limb pocket, and the two washers.

http://picasaweb.google.com/plemmons/limbproblem

My inclination is to leave both of the washers out and tighten it back up, but I just want to make sure that it is OK to do this. Does anyone know if there is normally anything between the limb and limb pocket?

Thanks,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

You can leave the washers out. They should not have been there in the first place. It did't come from the factory that way. I'll bet the previous owner put them in thinking he was cutting down on noise or something like that.

You put it back together without the washers and you should be good to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed with bfisher.

The previous owner could put them in because he has not shot the possible draw weight. It could have two effects. Ensuring that the limbs has always the right draw weight (also if limb bolts tightend) and to minimize vibration and noise from the limbs.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

plemdog

Smile Mystery solved

Thanks for all the help guys. The problem is definitely solved. The limbs look correct now when tightened all the way down after removing the plastic washers. It now has a peak draw weight of 66 lbs when tightened all the way down. I didn't have a scale to check it when the washers were in (I just bought one today), but judging by the amount of limb that was showing I'm guessing that it was 50 lbs max.

What a relief.

The crazy thing is how much harder it is to draw this bow compared to my MagCat (Jaguar). I had my MagCat tightened all the way down to 70 lbs and could draw it all day long with no problem. My shoulder is a little sore right now, but with the Slayer tightened all the way down to 66 lbs, I really have a hard time drawing it. These CAT cams are really aggressive!

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plemdog View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys. The problem is definitely solved. The limbs look correct now when tightened all the way down after removing the plastic washers. It now has a peak draw weight of 66 lbs when tightened all the way down. I didn't have a scale to check it when the washers were in (I just bought one today), but judging by the amount of limb that was showing I'm guessing that it was 50 lbs max.

What a relief.

The crazy thing is how much harder it is to draw this bow compared to my MagCat (Jaguar). I had my MagCat tightened all the way down to 70 lbs and could draw it all day long with no problem. My shoulder is a little sore right now, but with the Slayer tightened all the way down to 66 lbs, I really have a hard time drawing it. These CAT cams are really aggressive!

Thanks again!
    Sure ti's going to draw harder. That's the nature of all bows with speed cams. You want speed you have to work harder for it. But I'll tell you this. There will be a pretty significant speed increase.

All told, and just guestimating, your Slayer will give the same speed as the MagCat, but at about 10# less draw weight.

flytier17

How did you get the Mossy Oak finish?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flytier17 View Post
    How did you get the Mossy Oak finish?
    Alec, where you been hiding? Martin had Mossy Oak till only two years ago. Then they went to the APG.

plemdog

It's not Mossy Oak, it's apg. I know on at least one of the pictures, you can see the "a" of apg.