Thread: Tool for cam removal?

extraduty

Default Tool for cam removal?

What is the best tool to use to remove the slip ring so I can change modules? I have looked at several types of pliers and none seem like they will work very well.
    Thanks,
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

What modules do you want to change?

You should be able to change the modules on the cam with your allen wrench. Just loose the screw, change the module and tighten it again.

If you talk about those thing i call e-ring... Just take a screwdriver and remove it.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

extraduty

The e-ring as you call it is what I want to remove. I want to change the draw length module. I have used a screw driver in the past but didn't really like the way it comes off. I thought a pair of slip ring pliers would do the trick but they really don't work very well either. Unless someone has a better idea, I will just continue to use the screw driver.

Post Thanks / Like

I aalways have just used a scewdriver to remove the e-clip, but why would you want to do that to change a module? I don't get it. All the e-clip does is hold the axle in place and that has nothing to do with the module. UNLESS, you are referring to the CAM.

Theer is a tool for removing and installing E-clips and I have one that came with my repair kits when I shot for Pearson, but what I usually do is just insert a small screwdriver tip in the clip and twist it, holding the clip with the thumb on my other hand so it doesn't go flying.

In any case, if you really want the tool it's listed as part # 1160042 in Lancaster Acrhery's catalog and is appropriately called "Apple E-Clip Tool.

What are trying to accomplish, if I may ask? Maybe we can help or make a suggestion.

extraduty

I am changing the draw length module on my bow as well as bows for two hunting buddies. Do I remember wrong? I thought the cam pin goes through the draw length module. It has been a few years since I have done one so I might not have remembered exactly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by extraduty View Post
    I am changing the draw length module on my bow as well as bows for two hunting buddies. Do I remember wrong? I thought the cam pin goes through the draw length module. It has been a few years since I have done one so I might not have remembered exactly.
    The cam pin, as you call it is the axle. And you should not have to remove it to change a draw length module. At least not in any bow that uses modules. To change a module all you need to do is loosen two countersunk hex head screw on the side of the cam that secure the module. One of them might be hidden or inaccessable behind the limb. If so you can press the bow to ease limb tension and rotate the cam a bit to get at the screw. If you don't have a press you can take a couple turns off the limb bolts, then squeeze the cable toward the riser to rotate the cam a bit. Change the module and replace the module screws. Simple as that.

One thing. Do not draw the bow without a module in place. Soething else to do before you start. Take some decent pics with a digital camera of what everything looks like----just in case.

Now is what I'm explaining going to help?

extraduty

You are correct, sir. I remembered wrong. When I last accomplished this chore (after I put the bow in the press), I removed the axle to discover that it wasn't necessary.
    Thanks for the help and refreshing the memory.
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to have been some help. And please don't call me sir. We are just a bunch of Martin shooters on here, helping shooters. Actually we prefer to be addressed by first name.

Now you go have a nice day.