Thread: Broadhead Tuning Help

MOUNTIE1

Default Broadhead Tuning Help

I am having a horrible time getting my broadheads to fly good. Shooting about a 2 1/2 to 3 inch group at 30 yds with field points with good arrow flight. Broadheads fly good to about 20 yds but at 30 they are all over the place. Sometimes I get a good group but am not consistent. I know sometimes it is a break in my shooting form but I just can't get to an acceptable level to hunt. I am using the same broadheads I have used for years and really have always liked the performance but I am willing to try something different.

My setup:
    2008 Moab @ 72#
    30" Draw
    29" Gold Tip 5575 with 4" vanes
    125 Grain Thunderhead
    Scott Shark release

Any suggestions? Different broadhead?

BTW - The Moab is awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

I have no time to post a long answer but:

The 5575 have a .400 Spine, right? Easton says that your setup would need a .300 spine with a 125gr arrow.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

MOUNTIE1

As I have said before, this is my first new setup in about 13 years and I previously had a PSE set at 76# shooting 26" aluminum XX75's. This is my first experience with carbon arrows. I (my mistake) relied on my local pro shop and it seems they may have misled me. After looking at the charts it seems I could go to a 340 spine (7595) and drop to a 100 gr point/broadhead or go with the 340's and drop under 70# draw and still use the 125 grain points. I could also go with the 300's and be fine. What will either of these do to speed? Will it hurt to be over spined if I decide to go with the 300's and still drop poundage and/ or drop to 100 grain points? I am still not convinced I should stay with the Thunderheads though.
    Last edited by MOUNTIE1; 09-23-2008 at 11:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

You should change your arrows in any way. A guy from a pro shop here said that there is no problem with an overspined arrow but an underspined can be dangerous as they can break because they can not handle the energy.

Which combination you will take is up to you. A heavier broadhead will move the F.O.C. to the front which most people will advice you.

The speed you will get is a result of the arrow weight. You can calculate that by yourself.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL