Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2010 vs 2011 Saber, Is A Low End Bow Good Enough?

safeskies

Default 2010 vs 2011 Saber, Is A Low End Bow Good Enough?

I am just getting into archery and am looking to buy my first real bow (one I will hunt with). I noticed the Saber and was wondering if the 2011 upgrades are good enough to pay a little extra for, or would the 2010 model be just fine?

Also, this is one of the lower end bows, but I can't really figure out the major differences in this or a $1000 bow. The specs are pretty impressive! What will I be missing out on by buying a lower end saber, vs saving up for a high end bow? I'm not thinking the differences would be worth it, but I thought I'd check your opinions. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

first i would start off by saying marting is not a "low end bow".just because it costs a less some people assume it has to be lower quality.not true.what your getting with a $1000 bow is the name,and what pros are sponcerd to use.imo martin is right there at the top.great c.s. and these martin owners on top of that will help you with everything from a to z.i bought a bengal even after shooting a 1000 dollar bow.i liked the way it felt,shot,and all the stuff a guy can do on his own without the help of a shop.i just found out about this forum a couple months ago and have been welcom with open arms.and have learned so much and am still learning.keep in mind with any bow you buy you may run into an issue at some time or another.like i say you cant go wrong with a martin.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 06 Saber given to me and it is a good shooting bow for the bottom of the line.For your first bow ,I would not want to go overboard $$,in case you don't like it archery.Between the 2 ,if it is not much price wise I would go with the 2011,it has the Hammerhead strings and TRG.Just my 2 cents.

SL
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Post Thanks / Like

For just starting out, the Saber will make a fine first bow. I would use the money you save on it and put it toward a good rest and sight that you can transfer over to a different bow when your ready to upgrade in a couple years.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Life View Post
    For your first bow ,I would not want to go overboard $$,in case you don't like it archery.Between the 2 ,if it is not much price wise I would go with the 2011,it has the Hammerhead strings and TRG.Just my 2 cents.

SL
    X2 I shoot a Jaguar, which back when it was produced in 2007 was one of Martin's most inexpensive bows, and I am really happy with it. It's currently the only bow I own.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

For a person just starting out, I'd say go with the 2010 model, unless the price difference was minimal. People were shooting perfect scores, and "Robin Hooding" arrows way before the TRG and SOS ever came out. My '08 Moab is just as accurate as my '11 Firecat. The Saber is a good shooting bow, and while less expensive than other bows out there, they are just as good as most. For me, the biggest significant advantage to the 2011 would be the new Hammerhead strings. It seems to be a better factory string than what previous models had. A good custom string should run you between $45-75. If you can save $100 on the '10 Saber, that's the route I'd go.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the thoughts!

Now comparing Martin bows, the Saber looks like the cheapest. What am I losing by choosing that over one of the more expensive Martin bows (like the Pantera)? Just looking at the specs, speeds, lengths, etc, they don't look that different. I like all the specs I see on the Saber, as well as the look and color, I just need to shoot it to make sure I like the feel. So correct me if I'm wrong, but if a pricey bow and a cheap bow both feel great to you, and there's not a specific feature you MUST have, then there's nothing wrong with going with the cheaper one.
    Last edited by safeskies; 03-07-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by safeskies View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts!

Now comparing Martin bows, the Saber looks like the cheapest. What am I losing by choosing that over one of the more expensive Martin bows (like the Pantera)? Just looking at the specs, speeds, lengths, etc, they don't look that different. I like all the specs I see on the Saber, as well as the look and color, I just need to shoot it to make sure I like the feel. So correct me if I'm wrong, but if a pricey bow and a cheap bow both feel great to you, and there's not a specific feature you MUST have, then there's nothing wrong with going with the cheaper one.
    The main difference is the riser, it is cast magnesium vs. machined aluminum. I had a Martin jaguar with the cast riser several years ago, never had a problem.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by safeskies View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts!

So correct me if I'm wrong, but if a pricey bow and a cheap bow both feel great to you, and there's not a specific feature you MUST have, then there's nothing wrong with going with the cheaper one.
    You're right on, and Welcome to the Martin Tech Forum.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to check out the new martin exile. Alittle more than the saber. I am looking to add one for 3d. There is a thread on here about the exile. Any of their bows would be nice to own. If there is a martin dealer around where you live you may want to stop in and shoot a few models and see which one feels the best to shoot.