Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bowstring

cougarmagnum

ive checked out a lot of sites and went to my bow shop yesterday and they couldnt figure out how to slip the teardrops through the cam or anything so they gave me a number in a neighboring town and told me to send it in to martin. i think i might just go ahead and buy a new bow because both of those choices would be spendy. I'll see how it works out with the guy in the other town first though.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, if you could make some pictures i/we could maybe able to help you better.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

The answer is, you don't slip the teardrops through the cam. Normally your cables would have the tear drop on one end and the other ned has nothing on it. It's this end you slip through the cam. You'll have a set amount of cable from the cam to the teardrop which we used to call the pigtail. It can vary in length depending on the bow and the size of the cam. Anyway, you measure each pigtail so they are the same on both cams, then tighten down a setscrew in the middle of the cam. This locks the cam into place on the cable. The other end might have a loop on it and held with a swage that is crimped on. Or it might attach to the opposite limb or cam in some other fashion.

The point is, it's a complete custom setup now. Nobody really stocks cables already made up as steel cables are antiquated and there is just no reason to stock them. Lancaster Archery does have them listed in their catalog, full length. They would probably be able to make up the cables with a custom order. You'd probably have to ship them the bow. But it would not be cost effective, IMO.

If you are so inclined, and itsounds so, my advice would be to just start looking for a new bow, or maybe a good use one with more modern technology. Almost any bow made within the last ten years would have synthetic cables instead of steel. The steel was nice in it's day, but just too much hassle to replace them any more.

Good luck.

cougarmagnum

thanks bfisher. i was wondering how to get that cable through. lol. I'm not sure which bow to buy, i still have to save for it. but ill be looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, for about $5 you can just put on a regular string from your local shop. That's if the cables are OK. Tell ya this. I came up through the years with those older bows. That's why I know general stuff about them. If there is a slight gap between the tear-drop and the plastic coating (1/16" or so) this is quite normal. This happens because over time the cables do stretch that little bit and/or the plastic coating shrinks. Usually both.

If the cables are Ok then I'd string it and shoot it. What do you have to lose? In the meantime save your money. Depending on your budget in the future get back to me and I'll try to give you some advice about the best bang for your buck. OK?

Barry

cougarmagnum

thanks. the teardrops have a bit more spread than 1/16 of an inch. the top of the teardrop has some pieces on it that are shattered so there isnt much holding it on. and i dont think you can replace the teardrops without replacing the hole cable. ive been looking around quite a bit for new cables. idk the cable length though. Cant seem to find any steel cables anyways. Im nearly positive the teardrops have had it. they're cracked and partly shattered. I just do odds and ends for money around the neighborhood and stuff. Anything over 400 or around there is a bit much. I just dont want to buy a cheap bow and then want something better and end up spending double what a good bow wouldve been. Have any suggestions?

cougarmagnum

the part where the string actually goes on to is cracked pretty bad also. when you put pressure on it the other side of the teardrop slants and tries to separate. the most noticeable crack becomes rather large when this happens. when i first was given the bow it kind of made me nervous but i didn't know anything about the teardrops or anything.

flytier17

Well, the Martin MOAB sells for $359-$399. Good sound bow, very smooth and Quiet. Or, look for a reputable seller on the AT classifieds and buy 2ndhand. I am in the process of buying a Martin Pantera custom built for Nitrous cams for $250 on AT. That bow sold for over $600 up here, and that is with the cheaper M-Pro cam. I even got custom side plates and Bucknasty strings. Only thing with a 2ndhand bow is the warrenty is not valid, BUT, Martin will always be suportive through their proseries dealers, so it shouldn't be a problem as long as the bow is taken care of.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmagnum View Post
    the part where the string actually goes on to is cracked pretty bad also. when you put pressure on it the other side of the teardrop slants and tries to separate. the most noticeable crack becomes rather large when this happens. when i first was given the bow it kind of made me nervous but i didn't know anything about the teardrops or anything.
    You know what you need to do? Place a call to Lancaster Archery. They have the full-length cables at $17/pair and should have the swages for it also. You should be able to find a local machine shop or something that can make them up for you.

Something else you could try. See if you can find a local archery club and find some old geezer that shoots target or something. You might find someone who can tell you how and where to get cables made up.

Maybe Lancaster would be better able to advise you. Shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg. Educated guess would be $50 or so and that includes a new string. I know it's not a new bow, but...........