Thread: S4 Mag-Large limb deflection

crag

Default S4 Mag-Large limb deflection

Does anyone know the limb deflection # I need to get 50-55#'s out of a S4 mag with the Large, XL, Furious cams?
    I have 1M on now and max out at 46#'s.
    my string is new, and all the sing/cable lengths are in spec.

Post Thanks / Like

If your bow is 30-45 now, as it appears to be then you need to go UP two numbers. That means a 3M limb to get 55#.

You can also check in the Bow Cam section to see what it should be.

I'm pretty sure Scepterman will be around in time and could verify what I just told you.

Post Thanks / Like

UH_OH. Just checked the Bow Cam charts and it's out of order for some reason. I'll bet Martin is updating them.

crag

i was able to get to 50#'s, but i had to twist my cables to about 1/2" shorter than the length recomended, down to about 38-3/4"
    also when i put some twists in my string, not many maybe 10 by the time i have drawn the bow a few times the twists have come out. i have doen this 3 times now with the same results.
    there is no information on limb diflection on the tech info page for the Large cam, just the regular furious.

Post Thanks / Like

crag,

I see youy are from Lititz. Right down the road from me. I live right near the Star Barn along Pa-283 ( Middletown).

I'm going to caution you on one thing. Don't be twisting the rigging up too much to get the poundage up. By twisting just the string the poundage goes down and the draw length gets shorter. And FYI, those twists you add don't just disappear. What happens is that they distribute themselves along the length of the string when you shoot. Believe me, 20-30 twists in a string isn't very much, depending on the length of the string.

Twisting the string and cable can put more preload on the limbs so this can add some draw weight. What I said about the limb numbers doesn't change. For every number UP you go from what is on the bow now will give 5# of draw weight.

As for the Furious cam, I think there is only one size cam. There are two different modules. One large and one small. With this setup the peak weight per a given limb does not change. Only the draw length changes.

Now I could be wrong about this so don't take it as gospel. Scepterman30X has more knowledge about the S4 and Furious cams. I haven't had the pleasure of working with them yet.

I have to go now and fix dinner for the wife. I'll be in touch later.

Barry

Post Thanks / Like

First...Bfisher is correct about the limb deflection you need. A deflection of
    3M will increase your draw weight by about 10#; so if you max at 46# you will be pulling about 56# or so with the 3M limbs.

He is also absolutly correct about what he told you about the twisting of your string and cables.

Lastly...there are two cam sizes for the Furious cams a large and a small.
    Aditionally there are three module sizes for the Furious cams a small, medium, and a large and they will fit on either cam size.

Post Thanks / Like

See? I told ya he'd be around sooner or later.

And in the process I learned something about the Furious cams.