Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help !!!

08BENGAL

Default Help !!!

I Am Just Sick. I Shot My First Buck With My 08 Bengal. Never Found Him. The Problem Was I Only Got 5" Penetration. My Question Is Do Mechanical Broadheads Suck Or Am I To Light On Weight. I Am Shooting Easton Acc 327 Gr. Total Weight @ 55# With 28.5" Draw. The Broadheads Were Crimson Black Mamba True Mechanicals. This Is Only My Second Year Hunting And I Only Wounded A Nice 9 Pointer. Any Advice Would Be Appreciated.

Korak

Even 5" in a vital area should be deep enough. 55# and a 325gr arrow can shoot through the average Whitetail with a good side shot.

08BENGAL

Broadside Shot Right Behind The Shoulder.

dbd870

Huh, are you sure you didn't catch bone? You have plenty of KE, and that's around 6gr/# on the arrow weight.

08BENGAL

Dead On Shot My Brother Was 20 Yds Down The Trees. He Saw It To Perfect.

flytier17

Bow is fine. 1st piese of advice DITCH THE MECHS. I would be using Slick Tricks myself, try a bunch to see what flies the best. If you have the money, look at the silver flames.

A heavier arrow would be slower, but would make the bow quieter, and would loose less peetration when it hits bone etc...

I highly reccomment Easton Axis FMJ's 400 spine with a 125gr.e tip, or Carbon Experss Aramid KV or Maxima hunter 3-D or Easton Nano fused with a 100gr tip.

08BENGAL

Everything I Have Researched Today Shows At Least 50% Complaints About Poor Penetration Of Mechanicals. Switching To 125gr Muzzies From Last Year. Will Have To Resight A Little But Not Going To Wound Another Deer!

flytier17

Good for you. Muzzy makes arguably one of the most durable sharpest heads out there. Only thing is they have a reputation for poor flight. I also have 125gr. muzzys, and needed 5" helical fletchings to get it under controll. My nw Slick Tricks fly great. The 125 mags is what I use.

Highlander

Don't rule out the G5 Montec. I shot a buck 2 weeks ago. Double lung complete pass-through @ 30 yds from 28 feet up a tree. Deer went 70 yds. just enough time for the lungs to fill with blood. Montecs fly jst like my field tips. I do not have to tune my bow for broadheads.

dbd870

I've never been a fan of mechanicals but I never figured they'd cause a severe underpenetration problems. I like Muzzy's myself; good luck.