Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin Bengal speeds

oneshotsports

Default Martin Bengal speeds

hey guy in this forum. I want to shoot a bengal for 3D this upcoming year. I have a 29" draw 60# bengal shooting a 304grn arrow but the best speed I can get is 265fps. THis is not a acceptable speed for me. Any tip on the performance of this bow. Techs at Martin said that this bow is ok. but I shot a Bowtech Guardian last year and at 50# same draw same arrows I shot 282fps.

flytier17

#1, if you are a speed junkie, why get a solocam bow designed for hunting? The solocam is a bit harder to tune, and will have slightly less than perfect nock travel as well. Its also a bit short for a competition bow.

Anyways, how to speed it up. Get a Mata peep and a loop, lothing else on the string. Maybe even a set of light-stranded 8125 strings form a reputable aftermarket company like ProString. There are others out there, I like ProString my self. If you want a bit less noise/handshock, get an STS. Lubricate the string/serving with Scorpion Venom Cam and Serving Lube.

Also, set the DL 1/2" longer. and shorten the drawstop. This gives you less of a valley, and increases your speed 3-7fps.

Shorten your loop and release till it is the shortest comfortable, and it mayy give you up to 1/2" more DL, and 5fps. I like the truball shortnsweet for that reason; it is real comfortable short.

If you have the time and patience, fiddle with speed balls and a Chrony.

Look at cam rotation. if there is more ore less than 3/8"-1/2" of groove showing where the string comes off the cam, ir is over or under rotated.

Shorten your centerserving. Cam servings too.

Get a quality teflon cable slide.

Correct cam lean and limb twist.

vision archery

Hello oneshot, the speed on the bow is really not bad. But like you I like to hang around 280 at the least. You can't go liter on arrow for you are right at that 5 grain per pound mark already. If you shoot the bow good it will not matter how fast it is but your yardage judging will have to be close. If you like the bow shoot it as much as you can and you should be fine. I will take accuracy over speed any day. Like the saying goes,( It doesn't matter how fast you miss). Just my opinion. Good luck and good shooting.

dbd870

You don't say what year your bow is but that seems slow to me. I'd definitely do what has been suggested. (If you have a tube peep those are very tough on speed.) I'm getting 277 with my MOAB; 312gr arrows, 28" DL, 59lbs.
    Last edited by dbd870; 12-07-2008 at 03:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to add something into this conversation with out trying to sound too judgemental. There are very good suggestions so far. Pretty much everything I would have said, but if you are serious about speed then you shgould not even consider a smooth drawing bow such as anything with an MPro cam. The cam is not designed for speed.

If you want speed then you buy a speed bow and get it over with. It's a whole lot easier to slow a bow down 20fps than it is to fight to get every last fps out of it. And in the process you often end up with a setup that is a little more forgiving and not so finnicky if you make the least little mistake.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

dbd870

The guys are right, the MPro is never going to be a rocket; however I do understand wanting to get out of the bow what it is capable of.

oneshotsports

Angry re martim bengal speed

I am not a speed junkie but I very well know in the 3d scene in the southern states. I started with the bengal #1 because of price of bow for the speed martin advertizes. comparing apples to apple. I would think this bow would shoot upper 270's fps at 60# pounds with a 29" dl. My Bowtech Guardian did it last year at 50#. Guys this is 10 more pound of weight. I have this bow set-up for 3D not hunting. I shoot unlimited in Alabama, Mississippi and Florida. I wanted the m-pro cam because of the smooth draw. But I just don't think I can get Martin's IBO speed they clam out of this bow. I hate to said it but will go back to a BT guardian if. It don't perform better.Again I am not a speed junkie but I need some speed to be competitive in the south.

oneshotsports

Default re martim bengal speed

2008 bengal 29" DL 60#DW
    golden Key superstarhunter AR
    Sword 5 pin sight with 2x mag
    24" x-ring stabilizer
    tru-peep 1/8" hunter
    string loop
    vapor 23 speed arrow 27" weight 38 grn
    zap release

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneshotsports View Post
    I am not a speed junkie but I very well know in the 3d scene in the southern states. I started with the bengal #1 because of price of bow for the speed martin advertizes. comparing apples to apple. I would think this bow would shoot upper 270's fps at 60# pounds with a 29" dl. My Bowtech Guardian did it last year at 50#. Guys this is 10 more pound of weight. I have this bow set-up for 3D not hunting. I shoot unlimited in Alabama, Mississippi and Florida. I wanted the m-pro cam because of the smooth draw. But I just don't think I can get Martin's IBO speed they clam out of this bow. I hate to said it but will go back to a BT guardian if. It don't perform better.Again I am not a speed junkie but I need some speed to be competitive in the south.
    There is no comparison between the Guardian and the Bengal for smoothness of draw or speed. It seems you know how to set up your equipment for speed, at least lloking at your next post. I'm not going to make excuses for the Bengal or Martin. Just going to suggest that if you truely want some 3D speed then look at the FireCat or the WartHog.

I've got a 2008 FireCat that is getting 278 fps set up for 3D. This is with 26.5" draw and 45# shooting a 267gr arrow. Doing the math that's 6 gr/lb. And that is not supertuned as I haven't taken the time to squeeze any more fps out of it. And I do know how.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

razorjack

Quote Originally Posted by oneshotsports View Post
    hey guy in this forum. I want to shoot a bengal for 3D this upcoming year. I have a 29" draw 60# bengal shooting a 304grn arrow but the best speed I can get is 265fps. THis is not a acceptable speed for me. Any tip on the performance of this bow. Techs at Martin said that this bow is ok. but I shot a Bowtech Guardian last year and at 50# same draw same arrows I shot 282fps.

Ummm i have a 08 cheetah,now iam wondering how fast it is,my DL &# is the same as yours.