Thread: Computer aided compound bow physics

grega

Default Computer aided compound bow physics

I decided to post my question here on tech forum of Martin. I posted this on Archerytalk but didn't get lot of responses. I'm kindly asking for your help, because I know you have a lot of experience designing bows.
    I'm studying mechanical engineering and for one project (goal is to get familiar with one of the analysis software like Ansys, modul in solidworks, modul in Catia...) I decided to get a force-draw curve for a compound bow in a computer analysis in one of those softwares.
    I'm wondering which software do you use for your calculations. How do you get a clue how one new cam would react when you put it on a bow, what kind of force draw curve will you get. Is this done only on experiences or do you use software for this kind of stuff?
    I did some of the analysis in Ansys, but I have problem with string. I cant get nothing that will easily act like a string or a cable on a compound bow.
    I modeled a cam in solidworks and then import it in ansys using .iges file. There I made a string and a cable out of many beam elements, but it is a lot of work.
    Again I'm kindly asking for your help. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that here is the place for such questions.You'd better ask directly the guys from Martin Archery.In this forum there are a lot of experienced archers, but i don't think that there are bow engineers among them, unless i'm wrong.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    I don't think that here is the place for such questions.You'd better ask directly the guys from Martin Archery.In this forum there are a lot of experienced archers, but i don't think that there are bow engineers among them, unless i'm wrong.
    Certainly not me. And this is not to snub you off either grega. It's just that as Alec said, we are not factory people here so probably not many engineers of any kind, let along bow designers.

I think you have this question on AT. You doing any better over there?
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

grega

Yes, doing a little better on AT.
    Thanks for your help anyway. How do you recommend contacting Martin? Or better, who should I contact?

Post Thanks / Like

May be via "contact us" in the site
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

grega

Thanks very much guys...

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend you to call them. I am not sure if their email support is working again and if they will answer you. Jake will be able to help you for sure.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL