Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrow wraps

flytier17

Default Arrow wraps

What do these do besides look good? Can the seam on them create a spine imbalance? Do they stiffen the spine slightly? How much will a 4grn. wrap affect FOC on a light arrow? When you apply them, do you leave an overlap, or trim them to touch perfectly around the arrow? Do they help Fletching and Refletching?

vision archery

This is a good question, most raps I've seen overlap. It may change the spine a bit for when you shorten an arrow you stiff'n the spine, and it seems that the area where the rap is will be stiffer. The fletching thing, alot of shops here rap the FMJ arrows to get a little more gluing area, and I have never been able to reuse the rap if I refletch. Alot of times with me anyway the rap tares if the fletch is removed. So most of the time I save the few bucks and just glue to the shaft.

Joe

flytier17

OzCrest wraps has the "ultimate-X" series that will supposedly outlast the arrow. Refletchable too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flytier17 View Post
    OzCrest wraps has the "ultimate-X" series that will supposedly outlast the arrow. Refletchable too.
    Refletchable? Maybe. How you getting the fletch off the wrap so as to refletch it? 4gr on the tail end of the arrow will defintely change the dynamic spine just a tad, just like adding heavier fletching itself. They are not going to change the spine concentricity where they overlap--at least not to a degree that you're going to be able to tell.

Honestly Alec, you have way too much time on your hands. Think less abou technology. Spend more time thinking while you're at full draw. Form is going to do more for you than any new technology.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

flytier17

Agreed, but for the past few days its hit -23C, with wind chill its -35, and there is a lot of wind and snow here. No place to shoot, and the roads are so bad I can't veen drive anywhere. Fiddlin and tech stuff is all I got!

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean Alec...

It has no snow here and it is around +4C outside but i cannot shoot while i am at the University. So the only thing i can do is to practise mental things and to collect any information i can get about bows i am interested in..
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010

flytier17

Time isn't a problem for me. Even when I was working 70hr. weeks in construction this summer, I shot for about 1hr. every evening, and spent 1/2hr. with maintenence, like waxing strings, cleaning bows, refletching and assembling arrows, and suchlike activities. Now, its only the weather. However, I still take about 10-15 shots a day in my basement @ about 2 yds; just to keep up with the form. I just concentrate on anchor and releasing properly, as well as stance and followthrough.

Barry; I do not know any more about the wraps being rfletchable. I don't have any yet. All I know is what I hear on AT, and what the website says. From all I hear, they can be refletched.

Post Thanks / Like

Alec, most times if you tear a fletch or otherwise damage one you have to strip off the wrap and start all over. In other words if you need to replace one vane then you strip all of them and the wrap. Rewrap and put 3 new vanes on. That's been my experience when I worked in a shop.

That makes the cost of them astronomical in my view. I always figured they were way way over priced in the first place. And the 7" ones weigh about 10 grains which just changes the FOC too much. Course I could easily cut them in half for length, but what's the point? I put them in the catagory of camo shafts. They look cool, but other than that I don't see any advantage.

Although I don't shoot nearly as much as I used to there was a day when I went through about 300 feathers a year. That's a 100 arrows. Now what would a hundred wraps cost? Probably enough to buy another dozen shafts.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

flytier17

OzCrest wraps are really good-lookin. Easy to find the arrow, also very distinctve.

They also weigh 4grns for a 6" wrap. Not too much IMO. If they CAN be refetched, I don't think they will be a bad idea at all. I'll look into it further.

Elk4me

You guys should read post # 1317 on this At thread. Seem to me the guy fell off the face of the Australian Continent!

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...+wraps&page=33

I won some wraps from him like 3 yrs ago in the AT Xmas give away thread and took like 2 months to get them.