Thread: new cable for a vintage warthog???

noneck

Default new cable for a vintage warthog???

just picked up an old warthog like the one my father used to use. I would really like to get it restrung and cabled. Is this possible? If so who and where can I have this done.

Post Thanks / Like

That should be possible.

Has it steel cables or already newer ones? Is there any information about cable length and so on available?
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

noneck

it still has the steel cables. I don't see any identifying marks other than on the risers. What are my options?

Post Thanks / Like

Some archery shops may be able to make up a set of cables for you. They are few and far between though. Lancaster Archery might do it for you. They're only a phone call away.

There just isn't that much demand as steel cables are no longer in use except on the lowliest of entry level bows these days.

If you find someone who locally that has the tools to swage cables you ca get the supplies from Lancaster, too.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

noneck

do I have to go with steel cables? or is it possible to, "upgrade?"

Post Thanks / Like

I would say you can upgrade to new cables and strings but some weeks or months ago bfisher posts something about the cams not being able to handle the difference. Maybe it was not bfisher at all but i read something about that...
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Montalaar View Post
    I would say you can upgrade to new cables and strings but some weeks or months ago bfisher posts something about the cams not being able to handle the difference. Maybe it was not bfisher at all but i read something about that...
    Close Simon. It's not the cams, but the limbs. Almost any older compound with wood/glass laminated limbs will suffer limb damage or breakage by using fast flight material. Of course there is always dacron or B50 that can be used, but I don't know if that would work for cables. Just too much creep over time. It could be used for the string because that's what was used on the older bows.

Noneck, how are the cables anchored to the cams? Can you post a picture of the complete bow and a clear close-up of the cams?
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

noneck

I took pictures of the bow, but I can't find the usb cable to post them... I will try to post them tomorrow.
    For now; the cams are gold and have an R on the top, and an L and 4stamped into the side in the bottom. The cable ties in with a plastic circle with a cross in the middle. This probably sounds rediculous! But its the best that I can do for now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noneck View Post
    I took pictures of the bow, but I can't find the usb cable to post them... I will try to post them tomorrow.
    For now; the cams are gold and have an R on the top, and an L and 4stamped into the side in the bottom. The cable ties in with a plastic circle with a cross in the middle. This probably sounds rediculous! But its the best that I can do for now.
    I still don't know just what cam and such it is, but that plastic thingy you are talking about I do understand. This is a thingy used for balancing the cams back in those days. That and fine tuning the draw length. Other bows used them back then including Golden Eagle.

I'll wait for the pictures though rather than get presumptive.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver