Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aerovanes

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Surface treatment and more

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    So what surface treating is it going to be and for what purpose? Also what's the height of the vane? I may or may not use a drop away rest. All depends.
    It is going to be textures at 0.201 mm and 0.1005 mm roughness on various areas, then there is cross rips, dimples and mini hums to further create mini turbulence so no LARGE back pressure bubble can form.

The best way to describe this is via the dimples on golf ball, those dimples at rotational will create lift! The rips of feather of bird will give them the quietness and give the winds a little more lift too. That is why birds like owl have larger feather, but more texturized, while eagle although have super smooth winds top, but all tops of feather are ripped (reduce surface to air drag as the air is being disturbed, it cannot form uniform directional force against it, this is especially true in smaller flight surface). Texturing alone can add 30% in forward efficiency (decrease back pressure drag) as speed exceed 180 mph. The higher the speed, the more effective it gets.

The vane is EXACTLY 14 mm form the feet or 0.5511811" high
    Last edited by firenock; 12-22-2008 at 10:45 AM.

flytier17

Quote Originally Posted by firenock View Post
    I am still tweaking Aerovane II, if surface treatment and dimples pan out, You may be looking at a vane that is about 4.7 grains each with another 6% increase in spin! In am still doing more testing. Base on the current sample without the surface treatment, it flew the same as aerovane I with 30 grain penalty. i.e. after I added 30 grains to the arrow with aerovane II, it few the same as aerovane without any surface treatment applied yet! With surface treatment, alone, aerovane shows a 4 inches improvement over non treatment at 55 yards. And it also do another 5 inches (total 9 inches) improvement after we added the concave to reduce air to surface drag on the high pressure side (back side). If all is done right, Aerovane II should hit no less than 12 - 19 inches higher than Aerovane at 55 yards.

I am using the FC 1.3 on my arrow right now with FirstCut XT head (I like it even better than Silver Flame due to price and the bleeder. Can you believe it used to be about $15 for 3, and its blade is 0.058".

This is what Aerovane II should looks like.

What you see is FC1.3 (final candidate 1.0 revision 3), no surface treating has been done on it yet and all final smoothing and angular process have not been applied! And it is going to be about 5.9 grains each.

The picture is my setup which I took when I am on the stand at 4:04pm a few days ago.

EEEEK! I can't believe it! A picture of a Mahahahahahathews on the Martin Tech forum! Somebody BAN him!

Just kidding Dorge, to each his own. At least its not a crossbow. Thanks for coming over here to give give us a little information on the Aerovane.

I was under the impression that the Aerovane II would be 10grs. each too. Boy am I glad to see that they will be a lot less. Now I can still have arrow wraps and bee @ 325grs. exactly which is perfect for my Cougar @ 64lbs.

Whatever happened to the "bi-delta" configuration? Why did you oust it?

So if the Areovane II impacts 12-19" higher that Aerovane I, How much higher on average will the Aerovane II be over a quickspin or helical fletch?

Alec

Post Thanks / Like

You are this "SOMEBODY" if i have understand corectly the "M" word under your name.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

flytier17

True, I guess this can only further emphasize that I did not really want him banned as I could have done something about it myself.

Dorge is a great guy, and I for one am happy he can be here to help others overe here understand his innovative concept and design. I like the idea very much. I am eager to see how the experienced top-notch archers on here who have done a lot with vanes and fletches think of the idea.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I supposed to be shooting the z28, the had the wrong size send. That is why I am still shooting the DXT.

The aerovane and aerovane 2 have the same Reynolds number for the airfoil design. Aerovane look cool and it seems to work better for crossbow when weight is not that big of an issue. For speed bow aerovane 2 just flat out faster due to weight. In most cases, I believe any aerovane will out lift anything at 55 yds and beyond. The 2 factors that will make it different is material stiffness and spin. These will prevent the tip from dropping easily so it becomes a much flatter flight path. In most cases a 20 yd pin may become a 37 yd with aerovane 2. Which can be ridiculous if one have not seen it in real life? So 3D people is going go nuts on this, I believe.
    Last edited by firenock; 12-23-2008 at 09:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe i am interested....

Any chance to get some for free to try them out in old europe?
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Montalaar View Post
    I believe i am interested....

Any chance to get some for free to try them out in old europe?
    Can you believe this guy? First he tries to steal my dream. Now he's begging.

HaHa!!! Got ya Simon.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

@Bfisher

Hey.. YOU are a Martin Staff Shooter. That is something i will not be able to reach...

Edit:
    And someone needs to try out if those Vanes have the same effect in europe also. :P

Edit:

AND i can promote them when i am shooting on torunaments. If i am convinced. :P
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

flytier17

There you go Simon. You can be the official Aerovane rep in Europe. You need a fancy title like "Official Firenock/Aerovane Representative Staff Shooter of the Continent of Germany and Europe"!

Post Thanks / Like

Would be a sweet thing if so. :P
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL