Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mystic Help

Poor Shooter

Default Mystic Help

I bought my wife a Mystic 35 to 50 pounder. She currently shoots a Mathews Conquest 4 @ 35 pounds. She cannot comfortably pull back the Mystic @ 35 pounds. Can I get 5 more pounds off of it?? SAFELY
    She likes how the Mystic feels but just cant shoot it.

Thanks

flytier17

Well, I own a bow that was shot quite a bit 27lbs and it is a 40-55lb bow. It is probably not the greatet thing to do for a long-term permanent setting, but if it is short-term, I see no problem.

The backing out of the bolt was more of a problem when it was tapped directly into the riser. With the bows Martin has not, the bolt screws into a rotating thread, so it can adjust the angle to match the bolt as it gets backed off. The result a with tapped risers is usually a bent limb bolt, but now, that is not an issue.

It is mor eimportant that she be comfortable with the bow than anything else. If your wife's comfort zone is still under 35lbs after shooting the bow for a while, maybe it would be a good idea to look for a lower deflection limb. on Archerytalk.com, you might be able to get a trade or something. Look at the base of the limb. there will be a # and a letter. If you went with a limb 1 number lower, you would reduce the weight range by 5lbs. eg. a 5H limb gives 50-65lbs on my Slayer, so a 4H limb would give 45-60lbs. 1 letter lower is about 3lbs, so If I switched my Slayer limb from a 5H to a 5M, it would be a 47-62lb. bow. there are 3 letters, H for High, M for Medium, and L for Low.

Hope this helps you, and good luck with the bow.

Alec

Poor Shooter

How far can the limb bolts be backed out??? The book tells me no more than 5 turns. I know that is a guide to cover them from people doing things like this.
    She shoots probably 5 days a week the more she shoots the more she likes it. You also dont want to get the limbs too far out of the pocket, right???

Poor Shooter

another question, The bow is not offered in lower pounds so will there be a lower deflection limb???

Post Thanks / Like

I think that you should not lower it more/less (sometimes the english is so confusing ) then 35#.I believe with some practice your wife will soon be able to pull the bow.May be some push-ups will help When i started shooting a compound bow 55# were hard for me and some 3 weeks later that weight was no more a problem for me.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

flytier17

What is the limb style? it will be a 17" Elite or a 14" Mag. I would assume Elite. Also, what is the lettering at the base of the limb?

5 turns = 15lbs @ 3lbs per. turn. Thats why Martin says 5 turns. Truth is, you can back those bolts out enough to dissasemble the bow if you were so inclined. Thats another + with a martin; no bowpress needed if you are in a pinch. If you want, try turning them out 6 turns, or 7. At such a low poundage already, there is not too much stress. On a 70lb bow it might be a bit different.

Just because Martin doesn't advertise a certain option, doesn't mean it isn't available. I have a 50-65lb Slayer, and a 40-55lb. Pantera. Since when has martin advertised 5lb. increments in peak weight? I have seen an 08 Martin Firecat in Hunter Black, which is an 09 colour. My pantera has nitrous X cams, whereas Martin only listed it as coming with an Mpro. Barry fisher on here has a shadowcat with SE limb pockets that makes a 32" bow with an BH of 9" or so. Again, not a listed option from Martin. Elk4Me has a Rytera Bullet X with a martin Mpro cam. (Rytera is a high-end subsidary/brother company to Martin archery). I could go on... The point is, always ask for more info if you can't find just what you need.

Now, if you give me the limb style and deflection, I will see if they come any lower.

If you are the original owner of the bow, call martins tech service and explain the situation. I'm sure they will understand, and who knows, they might let you swap? The worst they can say is no.

Alec

Poor Shooter

The bow has 17" limbs (elite) They are a curved limb not straight.
    The only lettering on the end of the limb is 4M.
    It has a Furious cam on it letter M

I am planning on making it a Furious X cam. I would like to get her shooting it before I do that.

Most of the other bow co. dont want you playing with their bows is why I asked here.

ALEX----We have tried to increase my wifes poundage above 35 several times in the past but 35 is where she is happy. I have to keep the wife happy!!!

We are the original owners.

flytier17

Ordering a 2M limb set would give the bow a 25-40lb range. Or, you could go lower and have a 20-35lb range with a 1M set. I'd go for that myself because when you shoot in the upper range of weight adjustment of your bow, the effeceincy is increased slightly.

The M on the cam is actually designating the module size, small, medium, or large. Yours would be a standard sized furious cam with medium modules. when you order X-mods, you will have to specify M-sized modules.

Bow companies don't want you messing with their bows if you don't know what you are doing as it gets costly from a warrenty point of view. Having no way to censor who can do what with what bow, they are left with no option but to set clearly defined parameters for their customers, and to set guidelines in place. These are not absolutes, and there are many who deviate to find what works the best for them.

I am not telling you to ignore Martins admonitions on the subject, but just informing you that what you read in the pamphlet that comes with your bow is not hard-and-fast set-in-stone rules. If you know what you are doing, and know what to do, by all means, experiment.

Alec

SandSquid

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Shooter View Post
    The bow has 17" limbs (elite) They are a curved limb not straight.
    The only lettering on the end of the limb is 4M.
    A "4M" seems a bit high to get below 35#.

My wife's (2006 ShadowCat, Elite Limbs Nitrous (not "X") Cams) bow came w/ 7?, WAY too high for her!
    I found her some 5H but they were still too heavy and to get it down to 35#, we ended up (temporarily) with some 3H limbs (on loan form the local Pro Shop so she could shoot in the current league) and backed them a full 5 turns out... she's at 37.3# and managing but not overjoyed with it. (I tried telling her they were EXACTLY 35# but she told me they were not, that "she could feel it".)

I personally don't like them backed that far out, and I'm searching for some 1, 2 or 3L limbs to replace them with. If I can't come up with something used soon I'll break down and order some 1H limbs from Martin.

Question for you though, did you actually measure the Mystic and the Conquest side-by-side on a pull-scale? I have seen bows stated as a certain weight and actually pull a whole lot different.

Poor Shooter

I agree about playing with bows. In the early 90's I put a Darton Lightning cam on a Proline Carbon 44 bow. That was faster and smoother than the Lightning. It turned a lot of heads at a 3D at that time. The bad thing was at about 1000 arrows the top limb would start to split.

I am going to call Martin Friday and see if I can trade or what to get a set of 1M limbs. I also agree that shooting in the top 20% of draw weight is better. I am also going to get the smaller modules to put her on the high end of Draw length. This is my first try with a Martin am I am not making any conclusions yet. We got a deal on the Bow so we're not hurt yet.

Scaled both bows, the Martin starts pulling pounds faster. I am assuming it is the dual cams.

Taking the bow apart without a press sounds interesting????

Thanks for the ideas. and Happy New Year