Thread: Bow noise

dmorse

Default Bow noise

I have had my martin for a little over a year and am starting to notice a little noise when I release. It sounds like it is coming from the top section. It is kind of a low ping. I do not have anything on the limbs to absorb the noise. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks
    dmorse

SandSquid

Default Cam modules is my bet.

Did you check the bolts that hold the draw length modules to the cam? I'd bet you a ham sandwich that is it.
    Whenever I get this, which is not very often since I started putting string wax on all the bolt threads. ( I NEVER use LocTite ;-) that is what it has been, 10 times out of 10.

With the bow relaxed (not at draw) try "thumping" various places on the bow w/ the heel of your hand to see if you can hear any looseness/rattling.

gamebuster

Default Thanks

Thanks I will try that, It just started making the noise and it seemed like the more I shot the worse it got.

Post Thanks / Like

What bow and cam setup is it? Many times with the MPro cam, if the string creeps over time, the cam becomes over rotated and this can cause excess noise. Check where the string comes off the cam and see how much of the groove is showing. There should be about 1/2" of groove showing at this point.

Do the pounding with the heel of your hand first.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

gamebuster

Default Martin Jaguar

It is a Martin Jaguar, DynaCam, Thanks for all the help

Post Thanks / Like

OK, what I said about the MPro cam doesn't apply then. Try checking the E-clips that hold the axles in. Maybe they've spread just a little which can cause a vibrating sound. If it's that then a little dab of bow wax or something can cure this.

If you have the money then get a good pair of Limb Savers on the limbs. They help with noise and because they absorb vibration can actually preserve the life of the limbs.

Don't forget to check any setscrews and such in the sight, too. Go over everything.

Let's face it. With a single cam ther's only so much on that top limb that can vibrate. Sometimes it's a booger tracking things down.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

SandSquid

Quote Originally Posted by gamebuster View Post
    DynaCam,
    Uh, forrget what I said about the module screws, you wouldn't have them up top still check the bottom though.

flytier17

I've had a buzzing noise originate from the fiber optic touching the crosswire. It can be anything...