Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: arrows for 09 moab

Post Thanks / Like

Me too. At your specs you should look at a 300 spine. Quit worrying about punching as much speed out of it as possible. Get the right spine first. With your draw length speed is a given.

Couple other things. The MPro cam on a Moab is not designed for speed so don't think you're going to set any speed records with it. Bows with the Cat cam are for speed. The MPro cam is designed for easy drawing and relatively good speed. If you want all out speed then get something with a more aggressive cam.

Arrows do not have knock down power so don't think otherwise. Bows shoot arrows and these kill by slicing through vital organs, causing hemmoraging. They are not capable of knocking an animal down. Even bullets do not knock animals down. They create shock which disables the animals organs and nervous system causing it to collapse.
    Consider that many animals are still taken with recurve and long bows of about 50# or so, with complete passthroughs in lots of cases. These have approximately the penetration potential of a 40# compound bow. You are shooting a 70# bow which is way more than I just described so you have plenty of oomph to kill deer with any properly spined arrow you decide to shoot., but the arrow has to be flying true and hit the vitals. This is paramount.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

dbd870

Quit worrying about punching as much speed out of it as possible.
    I'm with Barry. Enjoy the MPro for what it is; a cam with a sweet draw curve and decent performance. I actually go to a little heavier arrow when my MOAB hits the woods.

JT38off

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
    I would recommend Victory's
    GPI Spine
    VForce HV 300 6.9 0.300

You will still have good speed of 280 fps and these should give ya about 70# K.E.
    hey des, im really considering your advice on the vforce hv300 6.9gpi 300 spine and for some reason im attracted to these arrows. im new to the compound scene so im asking, this arrow is suitable for an 09 moab w/ a 29" draw at 70# and 100 grain rage tips?

Desmond

Quote Originally Posted by JT38off View Post
    hey des, im really considering your advice on the vforce hv300 6.9gpi 300 spine ,.. this arrow is suitable for an 09 moab w/ a 29" draw at 70# and 100 grain rage tips?

Yes it is. I was going to buy them for my Slayer with the same 29"DL and 70# as you. But I came short of $$$ and went with the Vapor Pro black 400's in .0300 spine which are 7.4gr/inch for a price I couldn't resist, but next week I'm getting them Victory's for sure!! These will definitely will provide the speed I'm looking and still be on the safe side from shooting a light arrow and shooting 125 gr field tips/broadheads.

JT38off

thanks Des, i just wanted some reassurance before the purchase, i'll let you know how they fly!

JT38off

hey Des, one more ?, my buddy gave me 6 new carbon fury 6075 350 arrows i had cut down to my length yesterday i havent shot them yet but how do you think the victory compares to these, again im leaning toward the vforces but is there a sagnificant differance in gpi and speed?
    Last edited by JT38off; 02-19-2009 at 09:29 PM.

Desmond

Quote Originally Posted by JT38off View Post
    hey Des, one more ?, my buddy gave me 6 new carbon fury 6075 350 arrows i had cut down to my length yesterday i havent shot them yet but how do you think the victory compares to these, again im leaning toward the vforces but is there a sagnificant differance in gpi and speed?

Them Carbon Fury are Bass Pro Shop's cheap line of arrows. $54 a dozen and with a .005 of straightness. They are 10.6 gr/inch. way heavier than the Victory's so eventually speed loss is guaranteed.

Post Thanks / Like

Des and JT,

I'm just going to mention this in case you don't know it, but you need to do all your homework when considering arrows. You don't always want the lightest shaft like the Victory you are discussing. At 6.9 gpi you might end up with a finished arrow that is too light for the poundage you are shooting and could thusly end up damaging the limbs or some other component. Remember, you want to end up with a finished arrow of at least 350 grains. That might be pretty hard to do with a shaft that light.

Pick the shaft and components with care.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Desmond

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Des and JT,

I'm just going to mention this in case you don't know it, but you need to do all your homework when considering arrows. You don't always want the lightest shaft like the Victory you are discussing. At 6.9 gpi you might end up with a finished arrow that is too light for the poundage you are shooting and could thusly end up damaging the limbs or some other component. Remember, you want to end up with a finished arrow of at least 350 grains. That might be pretty hard to do with a shaft that light.

You're right bfisher, Thanks for the reminder!!

That's why I did calculate the weight of a complete arrow and came up with the following:

29"X 6.9gr/inch = 200.1 gr
    point/bhead = 125gr
    3 Blazer vanes ( 5gr each)= 15gr
    Nock weight ( GT nock) = 11gr
    insert = 21gr

Total finished arrow weight is 372grns which should be on the safe side. In my case my bow is cranked to the max and my weight scale is reading 66# of draw weight. Which also should give me a good 70 to 75# of KE.

Will this be ok?
    Last edited by Desmond; 02-20-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Durability

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Des and JT,

Another thing to consider is that the Victory HV shafts, and comparable speed shafts from other manufacturers, are light weight for a reason. The lighter weight will result in less durability and resistance to breakage, not characteristics you want in a hunting shaft.