Thread: modified scepter OR unmodified mystic ???

bpong

Default modified scepter OR unmodified mystic ???

take the following 2 bows and adjust for draw length of 26.5":

martin scepter using small cam and small mod to change draw length range to
    anywhere from 25" to 28"
    OR
    martin mystic using default fuious cam. it will be set up to a 26.5" draw length (no modifications other than using factory installed furious cams)

MAIN QUESTION:
    seeing that the scepter default draw length is from 27" to 32", will there
    be a performance hit between the modified scepter and unmodified mystic ?

i post this question because the bow shop i am dealing with has recommended the modification to the scepter. they also sell the mystic but my preference is with the scepter. what would change my mind to the mystic is IF the scepter modification drastically changes the performance of the scepter bow.

thanx in advance...

bp

Post Thanks / Like

Enlighten me a little more. When you ask these kind of questions we need to know everything. What do you mean by default setting? Also what cams and mods are you using on both bows...you refer to the Scepter cams as just that "cams" with nothing eluding to what they are. Limb style also would be helpful for each bow.

Thanks, Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Default Little more info please

I'm also curious why are you leaning toward the longer bows, are you a finger shooter or are you interested in a forgiving target bow for release shooting.

If you are strictly a hunter shooting a release perhaps one of the shorter bows maybe a better choice.

I'm not bashing them they are fantastic bows an I own several Scepters but it will help us give you input if we understand your decision making process.

bpong

Default will obtain more info from the shop & repost more details ...

scott, b0w_bender;
    up till my late teens, i used a recurve bow, and was a finger shooter.
    now, in my early 50s, i want to get back into it but i see there is quite
    a change from 30 years ago equipment wise.
    i approached the bow shop and it was these bows they recommended since i wanted something in a compound bow but used to be a recurve bow, finger shooter. this compound bow will be my first and only modern bow; i do not want to end up with several bows.
    i will ask them for the cams that they want to install on the scepter to decrease the draw length to my 26.5" length. the mystic needs no changes to its cams. if the final verdict (after gathering all the proper info from the bow shop) is that the cam mods on the scepter adversely affects its performance, then i will go with the mystic. its draw range contains my length without the need to replace the cams.
    i will get the cam info from the shop and add another reply to this thread.
    here are some links to both bows;

http://martinarchery.com/scepter.php
    http://martinarchery.com/mystic.php

bp

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to be frank. Which would I prefer...the Scepter of course you can tell that by my avatar. However your draw is on the short side for the Scepter even with the smallest cams available. So to sum it up unless you are going to shoot a Scepter magnum (14" limbs, 38" A/A) I would have to say I would go with the Mystic.

Post Thanks / Like

Default reluctantly Mystic

In your initial question you ask about performance. I think you will find the longer bow to be more forgiving and smooth these traits lend themselves to accuracy. If you are using all the smaller cams and modules you will undoubtedly be flexing the limbs less so you can expect a minor loss of speed. If you are interested in top scores on the indoor target circuit then buy the scepter. If your goal is to hunt and shoot some 3D tournaments then the Mystic is probably the better choice itís made for the shorter draw lengths and is more likely to meet the speed specs. Dragging a shorter bow through the brush is a whole lot easier too. The only real concern with the shorter bow is finger pinch. And your draw is short enough that I doubt it will be an issue for you.

Although I am a big Scepter fan!

bpong

Default cool ...

scepterman30x & b0w_bender;

still have not got a reply from the archery store.
    your replies sum up what i suspected would happen if those mods are done on the scepter. i'll go with the mystic for now...it fits me better with no major mods.
    if i do get the detailed info from the shop, i will post to this thread again.
    when i do finally make the purchase and shoot it, no doubt i will post a new thread about how amazing the equipment has changed from 30 years ago !!!!

again guys, thanx for your input on this thread !!!
    will keep in touch via this forum...

bp

bpong

Default my shop has replied ...

they based their findings on a chart that is currently available on the martinarchery.com website. it is here:
    http://www.martinarchery.com/tech2009.php
    the second chart contains the info on the various mods that can be done to the mystic and scepter. the shop does acknowledge (as you have also) that there will be a loss in speed with the mod to the scepter to match a draw length of 26.5".

bp