Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quieter: Firecat, Moab, Bengal

hunt123

Default Quieter: Firecat, Moab, Bengal

Just curious: for 2008 and 2009, are all 3 bows equally as quiet or is one the quietest? I'd guess that the Firecat is the loudest due to it's speed, but maybe I'm wrong?

flytier17

The Vibe dampening arrow rest and grip in the proseries bows is marginally better than the Goldseries bows. I'd think the Firecat and MOAB would be the quietest over and above the Bengal.

A solocam can have excessive vibration when the Idler wheel continues rotating after the shot due to it not being fixed by a loop or string end. The Firecat also has an STS. I've shot a Firecat, and a MOAB (but not a Bengal), and between the two, I thought the Firecat was quieter. I was shooting both at 60lbs, and with the same arrow, an Easton Lightspeed 3-D. Both bows were 60lb bows maxed (not backed off which makes a difference). Both were also '08 bows with factory strings, and a Plat Premier rest as the only accessories.

Maybe Barry Fisher here will chime in as he owns both a Firecat and a MOAB.

Alec

archer2

flytier17, if the Firecat was maxed out on poundage it may well have been closer to 64-65# than 60#. I haven't had any 45 to 60 pound Firecats in that were less than 63# when maxed out.
    They are Firecat and MOAB both fast and quiet.

Post Thanks / Like

Chime in I will, Alec. Having just gotten the MOAB this week I haven't shot it much. I shoot both the FireCat and the Moab at 45#, with 55# limbs backed down. The weight I shoot is due to a, hopefully, temporary disability.

I shoot the same arrow out of both, and frankly the FireCat is indeed the more quiet of the two bows. The Moab definitely has a metallic "thoink" to it. I haven't quite figured out what it is yet as I haven't had a chance to work with it. I do feel relatively certain that a pair of Leeches and Limb Savers would help tame it down, too. Right now the only thing on the string is a tied-in nock set. The limbs are bare also.

Sometimes I wonder about things because I have read so much about how smooth the MPro cam draws, but so far I still have a preference for the Cat cam. Maybe I'm a weirdo or something. I probably need to work with the Moab more. It's most likely just me.

As for how these both compare to a Bengal? Not a clue as I haven't shot a Bengal. I honestly don't think there'd be much difference between a Bengal and a Moab. And certainly so if they were both rigged with cable rods and slides.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

hunt123

I just got my first compound bow, an 08 Bengal and already I'm lusting for faster/quieter! That's why I was asking. Ridiculous, I know..maybe after I've shot it a while I'll calm down. Or maybe I'll get worse!!

Haven't had a chance to really use it since it's so snowy and cold and indoor ranges are not close. I shot it some when the archery shop was setting it up, but the target was so close that release and arrow-in-the-target were the same sound. 70# limbs, shooting at 62#.

It's sure a nice, smooth bow though and I'm probably going to have to make a trip to one of the indoor ranges. Don't think I can wait for warmer weather. A lot more skill and technique involved than with the crossbow I'm switching from. Had to use it due to a really bad shoulder, but it's well now.

I bought a couple Limbsavers and a Limbsaver stablilzer, and am thinking about a string stopper but I want to shoot it "raw" for a while to see what it's like from the factory. A number of postings said it's "silent", one guy even got a second shot at a turkey because he missed on the first one and the turkey didn't hear him. A few postings say it needs to be quieted down. Don't know where mine fits in that line.

Korak

Without any real proof, I think that backing off on the limbs makes a big difference in noise.
    My 07 Bengal is a 70# set at 61. It is a lot louder than my 08 which is a 50# bow set at max. Both bows have the same string and limb dampers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Korak View Post
    Without any real proof, I think that backing off on the limbs makes a big difference in noise.
    My 07 Bengal is a 70# set at 61. It is a lot louder than my 08 which is a 50# bow set at max. Both bows have the same string and limb dampers.
    What you are saying is most often true. Most bows shoot a little more quiet with the limbs cranked down, but this is usually due to the rigging being tighter so it act less like a rubber band At least that's what I've found.

After having shot both my bows this week I can without reservation say that, shooting the same arrow my FireCat is more quiet than my new Moab. I can't explain why. It may very well have something to do with the CCS. I even stuck a pair of leeches in the string yesterday and this made a little difference, but not that much.

This doesn't mean that the bow is noisy. It's a different type of noise that I'm not used to hearing. Needless to say I will figure this thing out.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

i have an 08 bengal and 08 moab! the bengal has a 5 pin truglo sight and a quad ultra rest, sims limb savers, sims s coil stablizer and cat wiskers. the moab has the same except ,it has a ripcord arrow rest and a truglo 5 pin micro ajust sight. the bengal is a little quiter and the bengal seems to be a little faster. not enough noise to bother me from either bow, and i'm real picky about that. i just recieved my 09 moab, haven't set it up yet! when i do i will set it up just like the moab except i will put a ultra rest on it in stead of the ripcord. i like the thumb bar!
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,

Big Ben 75

I just bought a 09 firecat it reel quit. I love it and I'm pulling 70# . I shot my second 5 spott with it yesterday and shot a 296 39x's wouldn't trade it for the world

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

got the 09 moab and shot it for the first time today, very quite i may not put any cat whikers on it , that ccs is what the moab needed. it is a lot quiter than my 08 moab. martin should make it standard equip. on all there bows. i wish i could put one on my 08 bengal .
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,