Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Brown

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Brown

Guess what finally arrived at my house today? OK, don't guess. I'll tell you.
    My new Black riser, camo limbed, wooden side plate (grip) MOAB.

It wasn't quite like I ordered though. I wanted 26.5" draw length and it had an F5 mod on it. Oh well, I'll cut them some slack on that one. Finish looks real good and the black/camo makes a nice contrast. Although I didn't specify such they had the foresight to put Elite strings from Stone Mountain on the bow.

After going over it and checking for draw length, setting the weight, and checking for cam lean I got to installing stuff. For now the sight will be a Spot Hogg Real Deal. The rest is a WB on a Martin lock mount.

That's about it. I wanted to get it set up for wednesday night and see how it shoots out at my club. Just put on a simple tied-on nock set (I don't use a loop), and no peep sight till the strings are broken in. My first goal is to set it up to the same specs as my FireCat and compare the speed difference and generally just get a feel for the bow.

Knowing me, once it's all tuned up and chrono'd I'll put my Infiniti drop away on it. Maybe the Hogg-It sight. Might even throw my 30" Carbon Doinker on it for a while.

I do know this. Sooner or later those yellow and black strings gotta go. What colors would you guys recommend?

It'll be a while, but I'll try to remember and post a report on what this bow is like in my eyes and how it performs.

Barry
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Elk4me

Congradulation on the New MOAB Barry! This is the 09 with the M2 cam correct!

Post Thanks / Like

New strings? Remembering those discussions about the best fletching color i would recommend you a purple/green string.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Barry! Now when you also have a MOAB i'll be glad to know your opinion about it and we can share some tips. About the strings-now i don't have the money, but in the future i'll take the ones that flytier recommends so persistently , the colour-may be all black or black and green or brown and green, don't want my bow to be too colourful.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

dbd870

I do know this. Sooner or later those yellow and black strings gotta go. What colors would you guys recommend?
    Those are really nasty looking aren't they! I've gone with flo green and flo orange in the past. however the guy that makes my strings made a set for himself using 4 colors: org, red (or was it yellow?), brown, and green - calls it camo - I might just have to have him make me a set like that next time.
    Last edited by dbd870; 01-27-2009 at 02:47 AM.

SandSquid

Default String color

Choosing string colors is always a challenge!

Just ask a woman to help you pick it out!!!! We just ordered some new strings for Mrs.Squid's bow to get her ready for Nationals. Only took her like two DAYS to decide. She's trying to match the color scheme of her Quiver which is Wine w/ Teal piping.

Shoot string:
    Mountain Berry and Teal with Teal servings.

Control cables: (She's shooting a Nitrous-X)
    (2) Mountain Berry string with Teal end servings
    (2) Teal String with Mountain Berry end servings

I'm making a Traditional string for the Bear Tamerlane HC-300 recurve my daughters "share"... Ended up "Flo. Green" and "Flo. Pink", I plan to use green end servings and pink center serving. It's actually not as horrid as it sounds... or as I thought it was going to be.

flytier17

ProStrings, in pink and purple like you always tell us to get!

I think a black and orange might look nice. Or maybe all black wih orange servings. Or if you don't like orange, use a bright blue or chartreuse. Thats it! Electric blue and black with electric blue servings.

You'll probably think of something you like. Just post some pics for us, OK?

Just a question; why do you shoot off the serving? I always prefer the loop myself. Is there an advantage to the serving? Or is it just because you need the DL.

Alec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flytier17 View Post
    ProStrings, in pink and purple like you always tell us to get!

I think a black and orange might look nice. Or maybe all black wih orange servings. Or if you don't like orange, use a bright blue or chartreuse. Thats it! Electric blue and black with electric blue servings.

You'll probably think of something you like. Just post some pics for us, OK?

Just a question; why do you shoot off the serving? I always prefer the loop myself. Is there an advantage to the serving? Or is it just because you need the DL.

Alec
    I shoot off the serving because I use a rope release. Cascade model 8 to be exact. I don't like wrist/calipers as most can't be adjusted short enough for me to keep from being overstretched. I even tried a Short and Sweet a couple years ago with a loop, but made it as short as I could and still didn't feel comfortable, so went back to old reliable.

Once the weather warms up and I sell some junk off I might try a loop again with a Cascade Saturday Night Special. I'm a little limited on what releases I can use because I have small hands and most everything feels too big for me. I like small where I can wrap my hand around the thing and feel like I'm pulling through with a BT release.

You know? That comfort thing.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

coachjdub

Default Picture

Any chance you could post a picture of your contrasting riser and limb set-up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coachjdub View Post
    Any chance you could post a picture of your contrasting riser and limb set-up?
    Hadn't given it a thought, but yeah, I might.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver