Thread: Mathews inc. speeds? how?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mathews inc. speeds? how?

Ok, so i have a question. If im correct, mathews claims to have the fastest bows out there, and i would agree on their solocam models, like the new reezens, but on the monster and monster xlr8 i think is what their new duo-cams are called, it claims to shoot 360fps. my question is how do they get a bow to go that fast? Does the 5" brace height on the monster xlr8 have someting to do with it? Also, if martin were to cut the brace height down on say their warthog or firecat, do you think they could wring out 360 fps? And i dont think i could manage to shoot a bow with such a low brace height such as the new mathews, id like mine to be a little more forgiving, around the 7 to 7 1/2 inch mark...Also, i wouldnt trade my Martin for any other bow out there, (except for maybe a newer model from martin every few years)

Any thoughts or ideas, or knowledge on the subject would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Tell ya, you're pretty much right on the oney with the brace height thing. It would definitely make for one mean shooting FireCat or Warthog, and I would expect even more than 10 fps increase over the stock model. The problem is, and you hit on it, that short of a brace renders a bow very hard to control.

I used to have a Golden Eagle Wildfire (prototype) with a 5 3/4" brace. It shot real fast for the time (60#, 27" draw, and 5 gr/lb doing 290 fps), but the slightest mistake could be disasterous. And there were no STS's at the time so at every shot the string hit my watch band.

Oh, and for what it's worth Pearson has a bow that IBO's at 361 fps for about $250 less than a Mathews.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Default Speeds not everything!

PSE says the
    X Force Omen UF will shoot IBO Speed: 366-358 fps

Post Thanks / Like

The X Force or the Black Mamba claim to be the fastest bows on the planet, but why to sacrifice the comfort for some more speed
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

timtim146

You know what i seen a guy at my local pro shop Shoot 4 bows. The firecat, mamba x2, xforce, and the newest darton (cant remember it was pro something lol.) But at 70# on every bow with the same draw length and arrow size the firecat shot the fastest. Even tho some of the other bows ibos are faster. I say that these bow companies are telling a little fib. I thnk he was getting 319-320 out of the firecat. 301-305 out of the apa. and around 310 with the xforce. The darton was 299s lol. That made a big impression at how i look at some of these new bows.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think these companies would lie so much about their speeds, may be the bows were not fine tuned or the rests were different?... I've seen the new Destroyer on Youtube and i'm very impressed although i'm a Martin fan
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows