Thread: chono's for 09 moab

JT38off

Default chono's for 09 moab

hey guys anyone have an 09 moab set up for hunting deer? if so have you had it chonographed? im in the process of setting mine up and i was just curious on the speed. i know alot of variables come into play here but i was just wondering how close one can come to the ibo of 320fps its rated at but set up for hunting and also about what i can expect from this bow.

JT38off

Quote Originally Posted by JT38off View Post
    hey guys anyone have an 09 moab set up for hunting deer? if so have you had it chonographed? im in the process of setting mine up and i was just curious on the speed. i know alot of variables come into play here but i was just wondering how close one can come to the ibo of 320fps its rated at but set up for hunting and also about what i can expect from this bow.

i think i might have just found some answers from a posting on hunters friend.com compound bow selection guide. this has answered many ?'s i had and just general info about the anatomy of compound bows. just thought i would pass this along. hope it helps someone else.

Post Thanks / Like

Trust me. A hunting setup will not even come remotely close to IBO speeds, and this means with any bow. For one thing very few people shoot a 30" draw and most people do not hunt with an arrow rated at 5 gr/lb. Also nobody hunts with absolutely nothing on the string. And most people don't know how to supertune a bow to get the most out of it.

My years of experience has proven to me that most hunting rigs will produce at least 50 fps less than IBO and an exceptional setup might get as close as 30 fps less. Most of this starts out depending on the draw length.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

JT38off

thanks B. youre right. im slowly coming to understand the newer compound bows and how they work. remember im the one w/ the late 70's bear that i used in the early to mid 90's so your input is greatly appreciated. thanks!

dbd870

My 08 MOAB is getting 245fps. I don't shoot 70# and I don't have a 30" draw length and my hunting arrows are over 400grs. You know what, that 8 pt. I took in October still went down anyway. I have a secret to share with you - if you hit well they go down.

razorjack

On my o8 cheetah i did two thing's just recently,i reserved the center serving got rid of that long amount of center serving ,i now have 5-3/8" of it and i ditched the peep and tube.
    I havent chronoed it but i can tell it's picked up some speed.........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by razorjack View Post
    On my o8 cheetah i did two thing's just recently,i reserved the center serving got rid of that long amount of center serving ,i now have 5-3/8" of it and i ditched the peep and tube.
    I havent chronoed it but i can tell it's picked up some speed.........
    Got news for you. Are you using a loop? If so you only need about 2" of center serving.

I use a rope release (target type) under the nock and still only use a 3" serving.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver