Thread: string stretch

Post Thanks / Like

Default string stretch

Im just wondering how to tell when your string starts to stretch, im going to be getting a new string soon, but im just wondering how to tell if your string stretched. any info would be appreciated.

SandSquid

Quote Originally Posted by Jake-the-snake View Post
    Im just wondering how to tell when your string starts to stretch, im going to be getting a new string soon, but im just wondering how to tell if your string stretched. any info would be appreciated.

Modern, well made pre-stretched strings should not creep or stretch all that much, save for the initial first few hundred shot, while the conform to the bends of the cams and modules, and even then it is almost imperceptible, perhaps 1/64" to 1/32" over the first week.

When I install new strings I measure the axle-to-axle length and monitor it for a few days/weeks/couple-hundred-shots until it "settles down" and remains consistent, indicating it has fully "settled".

Then I check it every month or so to ensure it remains constant. If all of a sudden it moves, it would indicate to me the strands are starting to break-down internally. However, I have never actually had this happen! I just replace then about ever year or two or when waxing them no longer fixes the "fuzziness".

Post Thanks / Like

What SS said. I also take a lot of measurements after a hundred shots or so and the bow is set up and tuned. Not only the A2A, but the brace height and tiller. Location of nocking point above square and the location of the peep above the nocking point.

Lots of years ago, when strings weren't as stable I learned that taking a pencil and drawing a line on the left side of the cam where it passes through the limb fork helps as far as cam orientation is concerned. This also relates to draw length, too. I draw the pencil line on the cam on the front and back side of the limb. If it's a single cam bow the string is usually about 2X the length of the cable so is more susceptable to creep and the draw length gets longer and the poundage may go up. By just taking a look at the lines it's easy to see if the string is getting longer as the marks move. It's not foolproof because if the cable creeps too then it may even itself out a little, but it's just another reference for a quick glance in case you don't happen to have a tape measure handy at the time.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Exactly what these guys said!

Post Thanks / Like

Alrighty thanks guys...