Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: are fobs for real or are they a joke????

brushrat

Default are fobs for real or are they a joke????

Has anyone had any experience good or bad, with shooting fixed blade broadheads with Fobs. I have seen a few videos on "youtube" and they seem to shoot straight enough, but you never see any of the pros using them, such as professional whitetail hunting shooters like Jay gregory, micheal waddle, Lee & Tiffany , etc.)

Are they any kind of substitute for 4 or 5" helical vanes or feathers?

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder about them, too, although I'm not going to waste my time with them. For one thing you must use a drop-away rest and I don't always use a drop away. The added weight on the back of the arrow is my biggest reservation. It has to upset the FOC, depending on the weight of the shaft.

They might work OK, but the reason you don't see any professional hunters using them is most likely that they aren't being paid big money to promote them. You don't think all those logo's you see in those videos come for free so you?
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

brushrat

yea...i agree Bfisher, apparently Starrbright is not willing to pony up any sponsorship money to any of them. Sad but true,if you don't massively dump money into advertising ( "Mathews archery" ) , it can take a very long time for your product to take off. Hopefully there are some folks out there that have experiences with them using fixed blades and would be willing to share that, even if they don't see them on TV every weekend. They are fairly new....and are very non-conventional. I guess i'm kind of a sucker for new products . If they stack up ,i might bite. Dunno.

anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, there is no doubt that money talks, especially when it comes to marketing. I can give an example. I ran into this little Italian guy back in 1993 that asked me what I thought of this new fangled rest he had devised, and presumeably patented.

Well, me being a conventional type guy took one look and thought " You gotta be out of your mind", although I didn't say it. I did introduce him to a new friend of mine with some connections in the archery industry. This guy's name is Sherwood Schock. I don't think he saw much good about the rest either.

Now let's fast foreward about 10 years. Seems Muzzy put up some money and we now know this very popular drop away as the Muzzy Zero Effect.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

razorjack

Iam all for archery gear improvements but ill stick with my plastic vanes.if your bow is in tune most good broad heads will fly true.
    I really think fobs are on par with turbo knocks and will follow the same path.

brushrat

i don't know what happened to "turbo-noc" .......did they go under? If fobs are not any improvement over vanes and feathers then ,yea maybe their fate is shortlived as well, dunno.......but i would still like to hear from someone that has actually used them. Nobody just bursting at the seams with enthusiasm ,after having discovered them??????

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down fobs

they push them over at archery talk a little. i personally like fletching my on arrows, it gives me a lot of satasfaction watching an arrow that i fletched myself go down range 30 yards and hit what i'm aiming at, most of the time. i really don't like the looks of the fob, so i think i will stay with the 4" dura vanes and the 2" blazers.
    '
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,

brushrat

Default where be the "FOBBERS"!

i too have had good luck with the 4 and 5" duravanes. They slow the arrow down a bit....... but nobody's told the deer that!
    To be honest, i have not had as much luck with the 2" blazers controlling fixed blades as other folks say they have. They all seem to work just fine for shooting field tips.

I would have thought there are people out there, with short AtA bows with very short brace heights that would be all over a product that could (might?) make their hunting arrows more controllable.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not for everyone

The great thing about the fob is that the manufacturing process for that little piece of plastic eliminates the inconsistency of the fletching process. Bowgramp59 writes them off because he takes pride in his fletching skills. I'm sure there are guys out there who will say the same about sticking with their handmade arrows or maybe their handmade longbows rather than trying the innovative alternative. That's cool; I admire such skills. I'm not very good at fletching an arrow and have found the fob to fly great and generally be quite convenient. In particular, the cross-wind resistance is helpful.

The greatest drawback of the fob is that they require a drop-away rest, which is probably a big knock for the old-school types. The drop away needs to be timed perfectly, as the hard plastic of the fob is not too forgiving. Oh, and they bust pretty easy when you start hitting them by shooting at the same spot. They certainly aren't for everyone, but I think they are a great little invention.

Desmond

I really don't like the fact that they come off the arrow once the arrow pass through the game.