Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: are fobs for real or are they a joke????

brushrat

Default at last ,someone who has used them

c bailey .....have you ever used them for fixed blades ? I understand they make 2 sizes, one for target points and one for broadheads ,is that correct? if so,which size do you use? thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Only one size for now

They only make one size right now, but I believe they are working on a small diameter version specifically for target archery. Maybe they are finished with that. I don't think they will catch on as much for 3d, but I'm sure a few people will use them for target. There was a thread on archery talk about how a guy using fobs took 2nd place in the bowhunter class in Vegas. Not a huge deal, but I'd say that the idea of them being a joke has passed.

I use them for fixed blade broadheads, most recently the 4-blade, large diameter Grizztricks. They handle them nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by brushrat View Post
    c bailey .....have you ever used them for fixed blades ? I understand they make 2 sizes, one for target points and one for broadheads ,is that correct? if so,which size do you use? thanks

jbowers12

Default I like real fletching

Nothing against the fob's but i have always liked the real vanes. It wouldn't feel like bowhunting if you had a hard peice of plastic at the knock of ur arrow.They might be ok with 3d, but i will stay with 4"duravanes or blazers.

gman57

Okay Im a fobbie and I think they are great I used to fletch all my arrows also and enjoyed doing it.When I first saw the Fobs I said uuugly and not for me but curiosity got the better of me and I tried them and after getting used to the different look I found them to my liking,nothing ground shaking but I felt I was more consistant and my broad heads flew nice. I used to be anal about foc of the arrow and asked the inventor (Paul)about this he responded FOBs know nothing about foc,not to worry. I never gave another thought to foc and any head I put on them flies great, really. I sold all my vanes and feathers and jigs I didnt use and just kept 1 Bitz in case FOBs come to an end. They are not for everyone but the way I got hooked on FOBs was just about the same way I switched from Mathews to Martin .After reading all the good hype on the Firecat I bought one without ever seeing one in person or shooting one and loved it first time I shot it. You dont know till you try.. and the customer service is like Martins Paul is hands on and right there to help...

davydtune

Thumbs up I have some and yes they are the real deal.

They steer an arrow extremely well, especially in a high cross wind. Are they better than standard fetching? In some instances yes and others no.

I still use vanes most of the time, I just can't get past the look of an arrow with a FOB, they're ugly. Kinda of a silly reason not to shoot them I guess. They do offer outstanding accuracy and I wouldn't be afraid to use them on a hunt.

davydtune

Quote Originally Posted by C Bailey View Post
    They only make one size right now, but I believe they are working on a small diameter version specifically for target archery. Maybe they are finished with that. I don't think they will catch on as much for 3d, but I'm sure a few people will use them for target. There was a thread on archery talk about how a guy using fobs took 2nd place in the bowhunter class in Vegas. Not a huge deal, but I'd say that the idea of them being a joke has passed.

I use them for fixed blade broadheads, most recently the 4-blade, large diameter Grizztricks. They handle them nicely.
    Actually they make different sizes. I have ones that fit GTs and smaller ones that fix Axis.

jbowers12

Default not real bad

If i ever shot fobs i would makem look nice. I could make my arrow still look good. I always fletch with flo orange wrap and flo yello vanes with a yellow nock. All i would do is put a yellow fob on as the vanes and it still would look good. Or white crest and nock with pink fob. that would probly look good.

Crazy_Boxer

I shoot them with Slick Tricks and they fly great. Here's a couple pic's of my FOB's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Striker

Here is a great review by Jason Blalazs back in 2006

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/pub...on_-_FOB.shtml

I used to FOB all my shafts, as there are good points about the FOB and there are bad points about the FOB.

http://www.starrflight.com/

Target shooting you only want to use one arrow per spot target that your shooting at or you will blow these things up if you group your arrows. Paul has suggested to use a shoot thru mesh to your FOBs will drop off during penetration of the mesh. This also simulates what happens in the field when having a pass through on game. The FOB drops at the shot, and marks the spot where the game animal was standing.

No, you can not use a Whisker Biscuit rest while using the FOB, and for some this is a draw back. If you use Carbon Express Arrows that have the Bulldog Nok Collar, you can not use them.

There are some plus and minus issues when using FOB's:

I once shot an arrow in 18* Montana cold weather. My arrow shaft hit a small twig that I had not seen. The FOB hit the twig just right and shattered, on impact. This of course was address to Paul at Starflight and he replaced the damage FOB.

You can not use these to shoot thru your ground blind window mesh, as the FOB will drop off inside your ground blind.

On the plus side of things, I can only say that Todd Johnston shooting of the FOB's in a Montana cross wind are right on the money with just how these fly thru a cross wind. See the video at the http://www.starrflight.com

If you do decide to use the FOB, I would highly recomend a good visable arrow wrap for your shafts.

hunt123

Pretty accurate in the right hands but uuuugly! 3 shots in the kill zone at 100 yds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F0-jKmvCCI