Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow Turbow

hunt123

Default Bow Turbow

Does anyone know what Martin's official position is on adding the Bow Turbow "slide" to your bow?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

i don't know what martin thinks about it . from what i seen of them, all one needs to do is buy a 09 moab or a 09 firecat and tighten the limb screws down a couple rounds and you will have the same thing.
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,

Post Thanks / Like

I was kind of laid up yesterday with an intstinal virous so didn't answer this. I can't help anyway because I don't have an answer except that calling customer service and talking to Joel would give you first hand information. My educated guess is that if like most other bow companies, shooting one is going to void the warranty.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

hunt123

Bow Turbow is getting beat up pretty good on the BowCountry forum, I was just curious about Martin's position. I'm not about to try one after all I've read and after first hand conversation with the head tech at our archery shop who actually tried one at the ATA Show.

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly don't think it would hurt the bow that much. From everything I'm reading about it it does as advertised, although it does change the bow a bit. Increases the poundage about 5#, which can be adjusted down easily enough. Also increases the draw length aout 3/8" on most bows. I guess this would vary a little dependent on how long your original draw is, but some of the speed gains can be attributed to these two things.

The part that would scare me is the backward pull on the cable rod. Can cable rods be secured in such a fashion as to guarantee that it can't come loose and get launched back into one's face or chest when drawing the bow? I, for one, am not willing to take that risk.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

hunt123

It would be pretty easy to fasten a small cable clamp directly behind the Bow Turbow on the cable rod and that would solve the problem of it coming loose. You could even spray it black. But to repeatedly pre-stress the limbs, has to lead to failure at some point, probably when it's most inconvenient. I'm pretty conservative and with manufacturers voiding warranties over it, I think I'll wait for a year or two and see how much damage it causes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hunt123 View Post
    It would be pretty easy to fasten a small cable clamp directly behind the Bow Turbow on the cable rod and that would solve the problem of it coming loose. You could even spray it black. But to repeatedly pre-stress the limbs, has to lead to failure at some point, probably when it's most inconvenient. I'm pretty conservative and with manufacturers voiding warranties over it, I think I'll wait for a year or two and see how much damage it causes.
    Oh, I'll definitely keep my eyes and ears open about this. Lord knows, that with my 26" draw I could always use those extra 20-30 fps, but not at the cost of a set of limbs, but I don't worry about them anyway. Shooting 45# with 50# limbs isn't creating undo stress on anything, including my body.

In my previous post I was not talking about the bow turbow coming loose and flying back. I was talking about the possibility of the whole rod coming out of the riser and coming back. Could almost act like and arrow shooting backwards-------OUCH.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

cptleo1

The Bow Turbow is not going to hurt anyones bow.

The stress it puts on the bow is very, very minor.

hunt123

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Oh, I'll definitely keep my eyes and ears open about this. Lord knows, that with my 26" draw I could always use those extra 20-30 fps, but not at the cost of a set of limbs, but I don't worry about them anyway. Shooting 45# with 50# limbs isn't creating undo stress on anything, including my body.

In my previous post I was not talking about the bow turbow coming loose and flying back. I was talking about the possibility of the whole rod coming out of the riser and coming back. Could almost act like and arrow shooting backwards-------OUCH.
    Oh, that's a different matter. I didn't even think about that. Good point.

hunt123

Quote Originally Posted by cptleo1 View Post
    The Bow Turbow is not going to hurt anyones bow.

The stress it puts on the bow is very, very minor.
    I'm not sure bow manufacturers agree. If the manufacturer of your bow is fine with it, by all means give it a try. But from what I'm reading on different forums from people that have called the manufacturers, every one will void the warranty if you use a BT. Obviously they think it could do damage that they then would have to cover. Heck, if that's their position I'm not even going to try it on a bow OUT of warranty because then I'D have to cover whatever went wrong. I like deferring to the manufacturer because they are the ones that engineered the bow and they are the best ones to know what the bow can and cannot do safely. Do a search on archerytalk and bowcountry for Bow Turbow and you'll find there aren't too many other than the Bow Turbow seller that will agree with you.