Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: secret hiding spot for wear!

brushrat

Default secret hiding spot for wear!

another good reason to wax your string. I probably would not have noticed it otherwise. Trying to remove a blob of wax with my fingernail.....it turns out to be a break in my cable ,held on by a thread!

Does anyone know if Martin makes a replacement one that is not quite so hard on the cable? The one that comes with it ,is of the teflon type (i think), it's white anyway. Thanks
    Last edited by brushrat; 12-10-2009 at 12:10 PM.

SandSquid

And another reason to shoot "X" systems

razorjack

I looked at my cable guide also and it was worn big time,must be a cheap part,their must be a bertter quality one.
    My bow isnt even 6months old yet.....

Post Thanks / Like

I have a SIMS one on my bow and my cable shoed wear after some weeks. The Teflon slides are the best you can get but sometimes you must use some sandpaper to smooth them. Just take a look inside and find out if there is a molding mark (can i say that?).
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

oktx

You may have a sharp edge on your cable slide. Call Martin and I bet they will help you out.

brushrat

Default who has those 3-5 year old strings i've heard about?

The bow is not quite 6 mos. old and has worn through one complete strand as you can see by the picture above. Buying an aftermarket guide might be a solution and has to be cheaper than buying strings more often! I took the guide off....didn't see any sharp edges from casting process,or otherwise. I suppose by now they would have smoothed out anyways. I also looked for debris in and around it ,that could have caused abrasion , but didn't see that either.

You guys (or gals) that have have the same set of strings for several years....are you running factory or aftermarket guides???????????thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I change my strings and cables every 6 months but i keep them as a safety. I could use them for longer because none of them shoewd any wear yet (beside one string that i had not taken care of).

I changed my factory strings to aftermarket strings immediately.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

flytier17

I put about 30 arrows a day minimum out of my Slayer, with few exceptions, and take care of my String. 1 1/2 years now, and its still looking good with little wear. I'll get another by this time next year for sure, but 2 1/2 years on a set of strings with over 13,000 shots so far; I won't complain!

Post Thanks / Like

I shouldn't even post this, but I've got one bow, a 2003 Pearson Freedom that is still wearing it's original strings. Needless to say the bow has not been shot since 2004.

Rarely do I change strings because of wear as I get a new bow every year, but it's not often that I see the type of wear that you are experiencing, but I have seen it.

It would seem that you just happened to get a bad slide or maybe the string had a bad spot in it from day one.

Now go read your PM.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

razorjack

I picked up a sims cable guide hopefully its better than stock one heres a pick of grove in my old guide,good thing i changed it,i just got new S&C.
    Attached Images Attached Images