Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sts

I'm wondering if anyone has had problems with their sts coming loose after some shooting. It seems mine comes loose after I shoot mine a few times and I'm not sure if its the set screw working loose or if the soft metal of the sts is giving under the set screw because the couple of times I've taken the sts completely out I can see the aluminum is wearing under the set screw. Any input will be appreciated.
    '10 ALIEN X 28.5DL X 70#
    HHA OL 5519
    QAD Pro Hd
    125grn Rage

JT38off

i have an 09' moab and i had a similar problem mine came loose after shooting it for the first time so i adjusted it and tightened it again and the set screw fell into the riser, i posted the prob on this forum and bfisher told me it sounded like they accindentally put a sts for the firecat on my moab, so i called martin and they sent me the correct one, about a 1/2 inch longer one and it stays tight now. the only problem is now im getting a hard metallic thump sound when i shoot that i didnt have before, im gonna buy limbsavers and take the sts off and see what happens. but its pretty loud now and i dont know why it wasnt before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JT38off View Post
    i have an 09' moab and i had a similar problem mine came loose after shooting it for the first time so i adjusted it and tightened it again and the set screw fell into the riser, i posted the prob on this forum and bfisher told me it sounded like they accindentally put a sts for the firecat on my moab, so i called martin and they sent me the correct one, about a 1/2 inch longer one and it stays tight now. the only problem is now im getting a hard metallic thump sound when i shoot that i didnt have before, im gonna buy limbsavers and take the sts off and see what happens. but its pretty loud now and i dont know why it wasnt before.
    So they sent you a longer rod, did they? Glad to see you got that resolved. You have a metallic sound? So does mine. I don't think it's the STS. I think it's in the CCS, but not certain. Just haven't taken the time to shoot the bow without the STS to see. Weather has been COLD.

I've been in contact with my rep and I too am going to put Limb Saver Ultra Quads on the bow. That and anything else he has that might help. Maybe when the weather breaks and I can shoot outside I'll be able to rip and tear at this thing and see what all I can do with cam timing and other things. That won't be for at least a month though.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rongcp View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone has had problems with their sts coming loose after some shooting. It seems mine comes loose after I shoot mine a few times and I'm not sure if its the set screw working loose or if the soft metal of the sts is giving under the set screw because the couple of times I've taken the sts completely out I can see the aluminum is wearing under the set screw. Any input will be appreciated.

If it looks like there are marks on the rod from it sliding then maybe you aren't tightening it enough. Much as I hate the stuff n bows you could try using 242 Loctite on the setscrew. Then tighten it down and see if that helps.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

brushrat

i had the same problem with my bengal. I started hearing this metallic noise, a few shots later the STS fell out on the ground. I reset it and snugged it down ....this time with enthusiasm. it has been about 2 mo. and it hasn't come loose yet. If i ever have any more problems with it, i'll just dig out the old dremel and grind an 1/8" wide flat surface into it about a 1/4" long (for in/out adjustment). You just have to make sure you have everything aligned and marked well or you have a garage sale item. eh!

Post Thanks / Like

Actually the rod isn't all that much of a problem. Before they were an item and I shot Nitrous X cams I used to take an old cable rod from years ago and made my own STS using the rod and a Simms stabilizer enhancer. I mounted the "STS" where the cable rod would normally mount.

As for tightening the set screw, I really lay into mine. I used to be afraid I'd strip the hole, and one time I did. So I just got the tools out and drilled a bigger hole and tapped it out. Then installed a larger set screw. Bigger screw, more surface area for the threads.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

HungarianHammer

Default Metallic sound - STS or CCS???

I have an 09' cheetah and love it so far. However i an hearing upon mid draw a metallic crack(?) upon inspection i noticed a small gap ( about 1/16") in between the right side of roller gard and the pully. when the bow is drawn the pully shifts to the right and makes contact. kind of sounds like a twig snapping. Very annoying. and at first i thouht my limbs were cracking I called customer svc. and they told me to take it back to the dealer to see if they can put a shim in it??? i would prefer a new one, right???

flytier17

I do the same as Bfisher with the cable rod as an STS. I can rig it to stop the string 1/2" above my fletches, and it remains out of my line of sight at full draw. Works pretty well.

MOUNTIE1

I also made a STS like bfisher. When I installed it I had actually cut it slightly too short so I did get a little movement after a few shots. I am always a little leary of really torquing the set screw so I made a little adjustment by taking the little rubber or cork bumps they put on the corners of cabinet doors and putting them on the end of the rod that goes into the riser. They are the right size, you can put one or two to make the right length, and you will get no metal to metal sound it slides in a little on the shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTIE1 View Post
    I also made a STS like bfisher. When I installed it I had actually cut it slightly too short so I did get a little movement after a few shots. I am always a little leary of really torquing the set screw so I made a little adjustment by taking the little rubber or cork bumps they put on the corners of cabinet doors and putting them on the end of the rod that goes into the riser. They are the right size, you can put one or two to make the right length, and you will get no metal to metal sound it slides in a little on the shot.
    Not a bad idea. Or how about going by trial and error with a piece of wooden dowel in front of the rod. It's more solid than cork so maybe would cut down on any sliding. Mark the rod with a pencil where it enters the riser. Then measure from there to the end of the rod. Then remove the rod and measure the depth of the hole. Take the difference and cut down a piece of dowel to that length.

Just goes to show what a free thinking mind can come up with.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver