Thread: 02 Cougar

DDawg

Default 02 Cougar

Hey guys,
    I'll preface by saying that I used to shoot alot & do all my own work.
    Even as far as machining parts & a bow riser once.
    Then I just kinda hung it up for about 12 years or so ............ man things have changed!

Anyways, in buying my stepson a bow for Christmas, I of course had to pull my gear back out.
    Then my older son got interested, so now I have an 02 Cougar Elite with Fury cams that I am working on for him.

I just want to make sure that I still know what I'm doing, since there's no cables & more strings these days.

This bow had a ton of cam lean........... I mean to the point that I had the buss cable twisting over itself because I twisted one side so tight & the other was un twisted, without getting it out.
    So, I pressed it down & swapped the limbs around. Had to change the cam module & string anyways.
    Now I have the lean taken out, but notice the AtA is at 41 1/2".......... I'm going to assume it's the shorter string, since the site calls for the same buss cables on both cam sets.
    Timing at rest looks good with a straight edge layed across cam to cam, they are sitting identical.

Anything else I should look for?

Any issues with this rig I should be on the lookout for?

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Without me having to look what is the ATA supposed to be? Bear in mind that these measurements are not absolutes. They can vary some depending on how you twist up the rigging to make the bow suit you. Did you install the length string as called for? Make the bow fit and let the measurements fall where they may, so long as they aren't too far off.

As for cam lean, you can reduce it somewhat by adjusting the cable rod so there is a minimum of cable clearance with the fletching. Anymore than about 1/8" extra is not necessary. All it does is twist the limbs.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

DDawg

Advertized AtA is 42".
    Obviously I bought the bow used, & the guy that sold it had the extra cams + string.
    I didn't measure the string, but probably will.
    The first thing I did was relax the cable guard before adjusting the rigging, but from 6+ years of not being adjusted I think the limbs had taken a set.
    Swapping them got them to adjust out easy.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, what cams are on the bow? I can only relate knowledge I know about 2004 and later bows with Nitrous cams. Bows with Nitrous cams state specs with C Base cams, although Nitrous cams came in three different sizes.

For instance, the 2004 SlayR was supposed to have a 6 1/2" brace height. That's with C base cams. My bow had B base cams which are smaller, thus a shorter brace height. Something like 6 5/16". And with A base it was closer to 6 3/16". Get what I'm talking about?

This might be the case with your bow. I really can't state with certainty about the difference in ATA.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver