Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Martin, what's wrong??

hunt123

Default Hey Martin, what's wrong??

Come on guys, you make wonderful bows and people want to buy them. What's going on??

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=847264

razorjack

Default They'll get here...........

I think the demand is so high they just cant keep up,i asked my dealer if he had a alien-x in ad he said not yet,oh well i still have my killer cheetah to shoot.......

Post Thanks / Like

My explanation is that Martin bows are cheaper then the competitors, but equal or better in quality, so in this days of crisis more people prefer them and the factory can't make enough.May be they can't hire more qualified workers, so there are delays...Must be patient
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that comes to my mind is that like many companies they outsource some of the machining, like risers and cams so they have to wait till they have parts to put bows together. Then they have to get them film dipped by another small company. If any one of those smaller companies falls behind then it slows up the whole manufacturing process.

Something else is that starting about the first of November they start getting orders in from dealers. They get inundated with orders all at once. I don't know how they prioritize who comes first, but maybe it's first in first out. Plus, they have to build a certain model or two with the parts on hand to try to fill each order. Then they switch to another model to try to complete an order.

Some people don't know it, but these bow companies are not large corporations pumping out thousands of bows a day on an assembly line. They might get on, say, 200 hundred risers for a certain model. They get them built and stocked. Then they build another model and stock them. This goes on till they have enough of different models to fill a particular order and so on. They don't build one bow and ship it. They try to ship a whole order at a time.

Each bow has to be assembled by hand. So how many bows do you think one guy can build in a day? Multiply this by the amount of people assebling them and you are not going to see a thousand bows a day. My guess? Maybe 100. It stands to reason somebody down the order line is going to have to wait.

Also not commonly known is that dealers usually program orders throughout the year. They may have an initial order of 50 bows. They might want 15 for the month of January, 10 in March, and so forth. But most will hold off and get the bulk of their bows starting in July as hunting season gets nearer, because that's when most people start seriously looking for a new bow.

Consider the dealers, too. Take a look at all the bows hanging in their shop. Say one has 50 bows hanging. He might have paid an average of $400 per bow. More for top end models. That's a lot of money he has tied up in inventory. Now look at all the other stuff in the shop. A whole pile of his money there. He's got to sell stuff to get money to pay all his bills. So he has to spread out his orders to try to coinside with money coming in. There's a whole lot to running a profitable business. Much more than a few customers ever think about.

I can say with a certain amount of reason that customer (dealer) orders take preference. That's where the money is. I've been a staff shooter for them since 2004 and it takes an average of two months for my personal order to get filled and I'm not complaining. I never feel that just because I want a special bow built that they are supposed to just drop everybody else and get mine done. I feel sure that mine is just another order sheet to place on the bottom of the pile.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

SandSquid

Still, a month wait for a Left Hand Mystic that should be deliverable in a week, just because they ran out of/didn't make enough LH Mystic risers only 2 months into the new year???

martinshooter08

Default Patience!

With the economy, just be glad they are still in business. I am, so just practice a little patience and we can all still shoot the bows we like and want to shoot.

hunt123

I guess I was a little concerned because I like Martin, think their bows are an awesome value and I picked up a bit of "not going to wait any longer. Forget about Martin.." feeling from the AT post by users and dealers alike. I don't want to see that happen.

That could be diminished if Martin's marketing/customer service arm would be pro-active and keep in close contact with the dealers, advising them of current status in an accurate and ongoing way. The dealers would not be left wondering, would feel highly supported and would be able to communicate with customers in a positive way instead of a negative and irritated way.

Maybe all that's being done. I'm not a dealer so I don't know, but the dealer/user vibe that was coming across didn't seem to be the results you'd expect from that type of marketing/customer service.

delmarduck

Somethings got to give. Some places are getting their product and some are not. I called the nearest Martin dealer by me (about an hour away) asking he he was going to carry the Rytera Alien X or if he could get it. He did not know about the "Rytera" line and on top of that he said he has not heard from the Martin Rep. yet. He advised that he wants to carry Martin's Pro Series this year and was hoping to get an order in by the end of the month. I can understand the supply demand thing, but I can't understand why the dealers are not even hearing from Martins Reps (some places). Maybe they need to hire more Reps. I shot the Rep for MD an e-mail advising him of the converstion I had with the dealer today. We'll see what happens.

hunt123

On page 2 of the post I noted above, someone by the name of "archeryhistory" posted a reason for the Martin slow-up. It sounded like someone in authority at Martin. Maybe an owner, I don't know. In a nutshell, it sounds like they temporarily can't keep up with the suddenly increased demand over the 2008 demand.

Martin is really shooting themselves in the foot by not having pro-active dialog with their dealers. Marketing and customer service really need to take advantage of this and use it as a positive, to enhance dealer relationships with them. They may be doing that, but it doesn't sound like it from what I'm reading.

I hope Martin management reads messages on the Tech Forum.

Post Thanks / Like

archeryhistory is Terry Martin, son of Gail Martin, owner of "Archerytalk", "Archeryhistory" and so also an authority at Martin.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL