Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sts flys off

nighttime

Default sts flys off

well i hava a 08 slayer and had a winners choice string put on, now when i shoot it the rubber stopper fly off. it is as centered as i can get it should i put some glue on it??

JT38off

mine did the same thing when i first got it. ive got an 09 moab and mine flew off 5 or 6 times and come to find out my sts was too short for my bow when i adjusted it the set screw fell into the riser so i called martin and they sent me the correct one and i havent had that prob. since!

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard of a couple of rubber bumpers coming off. I always recommend rubber cement.

I still haven't figured out how it can come off, though, with the string against it at rest and at the end of the stroke when the bow is shot.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

stonecrusher

Default Sts

I was always under the impression that the rubber bumper should be between 1/16" to 1/8" away from the string at rest. I have the 2009 MOAB and it has never fallen off.

Post Thanks / Like

Each bow setup can be a little different. Mine is right against the string at rest.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

JT38off

im really dissappointed in the metallic thump i have now that ive replaced my sts with a longer one, the one that came on my bow would not stay tight because the sts only stuck in the riser 1/4 ", and no matter how i adjust the new one it still has a loud thump. i currently dont have any limbsavers on but im definately gonna get some and we'll see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

i put cat wiskers on my new moab they really help. but anytime you have something moving as fast as a bow strings moves and hits a solid object theres going to be a thump of some kind, you can't completly eliminate all the
    noise. i have 2 other bows , a 08 moab and 08 bengal i made my own sts for them . i used some 3/8 alumnium stock and some soft spark plug boots trimed to the right size, i really think my bengal is quiter than both the moabs, all three are quite enough for me , i only hunt from a popup blind , it muffels some of the sound . i've watched some of those hunting shows on the outdoor chanell, some of those guy's bows sound like 22 rifels going off. i'm sure they are shooting 70 lbs. were i shoot 45 when i practice 52 when i hunt [shoulder problem]
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,

flytier17

Pop a little rubber cement or epoxy in there and you are good to go.

Be careful with cyanoarcrilate-based glues (crazy glue), as it can chemically desintegrate the rubber itself.

Alec

Post Thanks / Like

JT, why don't you just take the STS off and try it that way. You know, bows shot perfectly well for thousands of years without them. STS devices are relatively new and may be just a marketing gimmick that everybody is jumping on the bandwagon about. The main marketing thing is that no string silencers are needed so the bow gets more speed. The other is that it reduces or eliminates arm slap.

Hate to say it, but a pair of Cat whiskers could be more effective at reducing noise. And as far as arm slap is concerned this is usually a result of too long a draw and/or hand position on the bow, both of which can be adjusted.

You have a good thread going here. It's making me think and come up with ideas that I need to play around with on my own bow.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

JT38off

funny you mentioned taking it off. thatsn what i did today and there was no metallic thump but a horrible limb or string vibration sound, probably both and remember i dont have any limbsavers on yet which im sure will help. when i buy the limbsavers ill try shooting w/ and w/out the sts and see what works better and if i have to maybe some bowjax or string leeches. ive heard many people comment on how quiet the moabs are and ill get mine there its just gonna take some experimenting. thanks for all the input guys!