Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Martin user...

guitar309

Wink New Martin user...

Hi, so it sounds crazy but I haven't shot a bow in 11 years and decided to get into shooting... so... I bought a 08 slayer new int he box on ebay about 3 months ago and has just sat there... I have been reading a bunch about different products trying to find out what I should use... so yesterday I took my bow to the local shop and had them set it up... they didn't have much to choose from so I just got a few things to get me started until I decided what I wanted...

soooo... the question is...

what are your thoughts on rests?? I had originally thought about a qad ultra rest... but read a few bad reviews here and there about them... what about the Limb Driver I have been hearing that is the way to go! right now I just had them throw on a whisker biscuit to get me by but don't think I want to keep it...

now.. the next question sights... now when I was younger I was a great instinct shooter.. and never really liked the idea of using a peep sight.. I went ahead and got the truglo 3 pin and a 1/8th peep.... but what does everyone recommend... has anyone used a pollington red dot sight? I have heard great things about it and like the idea of how it helps your forum and you can keep both eyes open...

any ideas on a great set up would help a ton!!!

seems like it all boils down to own personal opinions ... but I would like to here them

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Well to start off you have a great bow!!, But you do need to upgrade in my opinion, for a rest, the QAD is a good rest, but the best one i have seen, even though i dont have it, is the limbsaver fall away, its super quiet, and very durable...onto sights, I would go with the HHA OL-5000, this sight is a single pin slider sight, so you can set all the yardages you want with one pin, and with one pin you dont have to worry about mixing up the other 3 or 5 pins on your sight. for more info on this and other HHA sights go to.....
    hhasports.com

One other question, what kind of arrows do you plan on using?? and is this for hunting or targets?

cptleo1

the HHA OL 5519 is hard to beat.

It is built like a tank

The single pin is the way to go !

As far as the peep goes - THROW IT AWAY.

Put a kisser button on it and touch the string to your nose.

You give up virtually no accuracy @ 35 yds and you eliminate the low light problems and don't have to worry about twisted strings.

For Eastern hunting situations the peep is more a liability than a help.

I threw mine away 35 years ago and never looked back.

Welcome back to the fold !

Desmond

Hi there guitar309!

I started bowhunting just a few years ago and also have a Slayer. There are tons of choices of sights/rest out there. My advice to you is to first think what is it you really want to use your bow for and the frequency you'll be using it. I say this cause' I've seen people who "waste" lots of money on buying the latest/most expensive in equipment every year for their bows and still are not proficient shooters/hunters.

When I started, my first bow (Martin Tracer 03') I had a single pin Tru glo sight on it with the two prong rest from factory on it. I upgraded the sight pin with a Tritium pin which made a huge difference on almost dark light conditions.

Then when I bought the PHANTOM II and equipped it with the Vital Gear Pro Slide .019 single pin and a NAP Quicktune 2000 rest. I thought the rest was a bit noisy!!

Last edited by Desmond; 03-01-2009 at 08:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

About the Pollington red dot sight- i also like it a lot, but unforunately they aren't sold here in Bulgaria, so i made one myself. It is really good and the shooting is easier and as accurate as with a peep and pin.I haven't tried it with my MOAB, because i've tuned it for my older bow, but i'm sure it will work great. The Pollington system is about 130$, but mine costed me less then 20$, because i've had the red dot sight. If you want you can watch my Youtube video with the red dot sight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNU5E...e=channel_page
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Desmond

On my Slayer, I tried the DMI Expert II rest three years ago and love it!! It's easy to adjust and it's almost 100% noise free. The arrow slides on rubber different from the rests in the market. Now under G5, you can get them in camo also.

As for a bow sight , I have two. One for 3D (which I haven't been in one.LOL!! which is the Spott Hogg 7 .009 pins Hog -it Hunter ) and a Copper John Dead Nuts 2 Micro 4 Sight with .019 pins.

Hope this can help you somehow!!

guitar309

as for the questions on what I am going to do with the bow... I am looking forward to shooting at least once a week... we will see how much time i have but I would like to start shooting often but will also be using it as a hunting bow....

as for the arrows... I will have to get back to you on that one... I bought a few and can't remember the name the where the most expensive he had and where 350 grain... (I dropped my bow of Friday and will pick it up tomorrow)

hope that clears things up! I will defiantly look into some of the products you guys are talking about!

Big Ben 75

I like ripcord rest and apex sights

guitar309

ok... so I am torn between 2 rests at the moment.... the limb driver and the g5 expert 2... what do you think?

Big Ben 75

limb driver