Thread: Question for the Scepterman

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question for the Scepterman

Hi,

I need a bow recommendation for my dad. He is about 6' or 6'1" and has a measured draw length of 28" on the nose. He wants a bow he can handle like say in the 50 to 60 pound range. He will be hunting exclusively out of a box type shooting stand. Speed is not paramont, he would be more into ease of draw/hold and forgiveness. Also he is looking for a more value type (Gold series or used bow). I have found several used Martins on Ebay and also some packages on new bows. This wouldn't be a situation where he would ever want to go up in draw weight.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

He's probably at work, but a little more informtion would help. For one, is he planning on shooting fingers or release?
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Why only for Scepterman? The others may be offended. I'm not him, but will say Bengal or Cheetah.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Oh it will be release. I have met scepterman, I just posted it here so as not to bug him at work! Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

SandSquid

I got a Cheetah for my wife, and a Leopard for my youngest daughter and found them both to be very nice shooting bows with plenty of "punch" for it's diminutive size and relative draw weight.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input Squidman. Anyone else with any ideas....let em fly!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Saber, bengal, or cheetah

Saber would be the cheapest, and probably shoots like the rest, almost the same specs as well...

badger561

09 moab set at 60 pounds perfect for your dad.

flytier17

A saber would make a good bow to start out with. However, if you want a real shooter that will last him even when his shooting/tuning abilities pick up, go for the MOAB. I'd personally reccomend the Firecat because of the aded tunability of a Hybrid Binary system, not the extra speed. However, if your dad doesn't want a harsh draw, the MOAB will be a better choice.

Have him shoot it and see if he likes it. That is of paramount importance in getting a new bow.