Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Question about Vapor Trail Limb Driver

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Question about Vapor Trail Limb Driver

    I have a new Warthog on order and I am thinking seriously about a Vapor Trail Limb Driver rest. Anyone here have experience with them, and if so how do you like it?

  2. #2
    flytier17
    Guest

    Default

    I've used one, and didn't like it. Heres why

    #1 It doesn't flex. An arrof flexes when it is shot. With a welltuned bow and a wellmatched arrow spine, this will be negligible, but it is still there. When the rest can flex, it helps the fletches dampen the osscilation (archers paradox). Look at the prong rests target shooters use. They have adjustable tension that can be tuned for your setup. Even a dropaway should have this.

    #2 Too much palstic. Doesn't have the feel or look of a quality piece of equipment that you can rely on no matter how much it is used and abused. I take good care of my stuff, but I still want a quality rest. I didn't have the limb driver long enough for a real test of this, but my first impression was not great.

    #3 That long cord worried me. Every time I went to ress the bow with a bowmaster, it was in the way. Just too much to snag. Not a clean look at all.

    #4 Noisy. That rest had a buzz I couldn't find or eliminate at all.

    #5 With a wax marker, I checked for clearence. It only supports about 70% of the arrow at its best. The more support, the better. Esp. if the bow has uneven nock travel.

    #6 I'm not sure if they've changed it since, but the having to cock the rest i had was a pain. I want a rest always in position for use.

  3. #3
    flytier17
    Guest

    Default

    Here is my solution: A spot-Hogg Whammy. Heres Why:

    #1 It Flexes. Not adjustable, like a prong rest, but most arrows between 430grs and 550grs. are supported at the right amount. 475grs. Seems to be ideal, but 513grs. shot pretty well too. My arrows I used had an FOC of about 13%.

    #2 Like all Spot-Hogg stuff, it is the best-made rest you can but. Built like a tank, all metal, no play or wiggle, just a supreme example of how a rest should be machined. Spot-Hogg backs their warrenty perfectly. Not POP, nor original owner, no time limit. If it bears the Spot-Hogg name, they will repair or replace it.

    #3 Standard cord, about 4-8" depending on individual tuning.

    #4 Very quiet click on the breakover point, thats all. No play, no buzz.

    #5 Supports the arrow up to 1/2" before the fletches. You can tune it for different fletch lengths.

    #6 Always up and ready to shoot.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    no other input? If you can't tell me about the vapor trail...then suggest something, tell me your ultimate dream rest for hunting (fall away preferred)

  5. #5
    flytier17
    Guest

    Default

    BTW, the Whammy I use for Hunting. 3-D and Spots I use a Spot-Hogg Platinum.

  6. #6
    Administrator bfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Middletown, Pa, USA
    Posts
    11,360
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The only drop away I ever liked was the Trapdoor. Now improved and called the Freefall by Montana Black Gold. No cord needed. Just my opinion but I personally think most all these drop aways are $15 prong style rest with the spring reversed and a cord attached with a jacked up price tag.

    A couple years ago I had nine of them on my SlayR over a two week period. Hated every one of them. Just couldn't get away from the idea that people are getting raped and loving it. The only one that came close to being anything of quality was the GKF Infinity. GKF isn't around any more, but Spot Hoggs markets them now.

    Other than that I still prefer a prong style or blade for 3D. Truthfully, my all time favorite has been the Star Hunter.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

  7. #7
    ronnzz
    Guest

    Default hi

    Quote Originally Posted by flytier17 View Post
    BTW, the Whammy I use for Hunting. 3-D and Spots I use a Spot-Hogg Platinum.


    yeah use that before, its amazing i love his features..






    _________________
    remote workforce | livechat operators

  8. #8
    hunt123
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wisecane View Post
    no other input? If you can't tell me about the vapor trail...then suggest something, tell me your ultimate dream rest for hunting (fall away preferred)
    Just switched from a Whisker Biscuit on my Bengal to a Vapor Trail Limb Driver. Awesome rest!!! I'm sorry I didn't get it sooner. All metal except for the solid limb button that holds the string. Adjustable spring tension for the blade, arrow capture blade available (on the Vapor Trail website under "new for 2009 - only $6.88), vertical and horizontal adjustments, extremely easy to set up (a youtube setup video is great), totally silent, no clicking like a QAD. The new capture blade looks like plenty of containment unless you frequently stand on your head while hunting. I'm ordering one tomorrow.

    AND the Limb Driver reduced the size of my groups AND it gave me enough speed increase that I shot high at 50 and 60 yds with the WB settings and had to adjust those pins. Didn't notice any speed increase at less than 50 yds though.

  9. #9
    southern outlaw
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flytier17 View Post
    I've used one, and didn't like it. Heres why

    #1 It doesn't flex. An arrof flexes when it is shot. With a welltuned bow and a wellmatched arrow spine, this will be negligible, but it is still there. When the rest can flex, it helps the fletches dampen the osscilation (archers paradox). Look at the prong rests target shooters use. They have adjustable tension that can be tuned for your setup. Even a dropaway should have this.

    #2 Too much palstic. Doesn't have the feel or look of a quality piece of equipment that you can rely on no matter how much it is used and abused. I take good care of my stuff, but I still want a quality rest. I didn't have the limb driver long enough for a real test of this, but my first impression was not great.

    #3 That long cord worried me. Every time I went to ress the bow with a bowmaster, it was in the way. Just too much to snag. Not a clean look at all.

    #4 Noisy. That rest had a buzz I couldn't find or eliminate at all.

    #5 With a wax marker, I checked for clearence. It only supports about 70% of the arrow at its best. The more support, the better. Esp. if the bow has uneven nock travel.

    #6 I'm not sure if they've changed it since, but the having to cock the rest i had was a pain. I want a rest always in position for use.
    You must have the limbdriver mixed up with a different rest. The launcher can flex because it is not pulled up with a cord and held tight like other drop aways. The limb driver raises on it own spring tension when you draw the bow. The cord goes slack when your limb compresses, the launcher raises and since it is held up by its own spring it can flex just like a springy or tm hunter. When you shoot the limb pulls the cord tight and drives the launcher down . It has no choice but to get out of the way.
    It works faster than the whammy and is a lot easier to set up, about 5 minutes and your shooting, no bow press needed.
    70% support is quite a bit for a drop away.
    I have been hunting with one for 4 years now and never had a problem with the cord. I keep a spare piece with me just in case and never have needed it. You could replace it in the field with just a couple allen wrenches and a lighter. How easy is that!
    What plastic? Mine has none on it!
    You dont cock a limbdriver to shoot it.
    Mine is not noisy. A trophy taker makes a whole lot more noise than my limbdriver and that aint much.
    It is the best rest out there in my opinion.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Rockyhud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Falcon, CO
    Posts
    218
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Southern Outlaw is right

    I have a Limb Driver on my 2008 Firecat and it's just like he described. VERY easy to setup, no plastic, long support time during the shot, very quick and positive dropping down, very quiet and no fletching/vane clearance issues. The only thing I've done besides the mount and setup was to put some camo moleskin on the forks. It is totally quiet during the draw and the shot. I shoot CX Maxima 350s with Blazer vanes and there's never been any interference or clearance issue. I've even tried shooting FOBs and again not one problem. I too can't say enough good about it.
    2008 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 66# DW), home-made TRG, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer/dampener, custom upper STS, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •