Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about Vapor Trail Limb Driver

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about Vapor Trail Limb Driver

I have a new Warthog on order and I am thinking seriously about a Vapor Trail Limb Driver rest. Anyone here have experience with them, and if so how do you like it?

flytier17

I've used one, and didn't like it. Heres why

#1 It doesn't flex. An arrof flexes when it is shot. With a welltuned bow and a wellmatched arrow spine, this will be negligible, but it is still there. When the rest can flex, it helps the fletches dampen the osscilation (archers paradox). Look at the prong rests target shooters use. They have adjustable tension that can be tuned for your setup. Even a dropaway should have this.

#2 Too much palstic. Doesn't have the feel or look of a quality piece of equipment that you can rely on no matter how much it is used and abused. I take good care of my stuff, but I still want a quality rest. I didn't have the limb driver long enough for a real test of this, but my first impression was not great.

#3 That long cord worried me. Every time I went to ress the bow with a bowmaster, it was in the way. Just too much to snag. Not a clean look at all.

#4 Noisy. That rest had a buzz I couldn't find or eliminate at all.

#5 With a wax marker, I checked for clearence. It only supports about 70% of the arrow at its best. The more support, the better. Esp. if the bow has uneven nock travel.

#6 I'm not sure if they've changed it since, but the having to cock the rest i had was a pain. I want a rest always in position for use.

flytier17

Here is my solution: A spot-Hogg Whammy. Heres Why:

#1 It Flexes. Not adjustable, like a prong rest, but most arrows between 430grs and 550grs. are supported at the right amount. 475grs. Seems to be ideal, but 513grs. shot pretty well too. My arrows I used had an FOC of about 13%.

#2 Like all Spot-Hogg stuff, it is the best-made rest you can but. Built like a tank, all metal, no play or wiggle, just a supreme example of how a rest should be machined. Spot-Hogg backs their warrenty perfectly. Not POP, nor original owner, no time limit. If it bears the Spot-Hogg name, they will repair or replace it.

#3 Standard cord, about 4-8" depending on individual tuning.

#4 Very quiet click on the breakover point, thats all. No play, no buzz.

#5 Supports the arrow up to 1/2" before the fletches. You can tune it for different fletch lengths.

#6 Always up and ready to shoot.

Post Thanks / Like

no other input? If you can't tell me about the vapor trail...then suggest something, tell me your ultimate dream rest for hunting (fall away preferred)

flytier17

BTW, the Whammy I use for Hunting. 3-D and Spots I use a Spot-Hogg Platinum.

Post Thanks / Like

The only drop away I ever liked was the Trapdoor. Now improved and called the Freefall by Montana Black Gold. No cord needed. Just my opinion but I personally think most all these drop aways are $15 prong style rest with the spring reversed and a cord attached with a jacked up price tag.

A couple years ago I had nine of them on my SlayR over a two week period. Hated every one of them. Just couldn't get away from the idea that people are getting raped and loving it. The only one that came close to being anything of quality was the GKF Infinity. GKF isn't around any more, but Spot Hoggs markets them now.

Other than that I still prefer a prong style or blade for 3D. Truthfully, my all time favorite has been the Star Hunter.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

flytier17

I also think most rests are not worth the bucks. BUT, have you ever shot the whammy. Just the quality of the construction makes it worth the money IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flytier17 View Post
    I also think most rests are not worth the bucks. BUT, have you ever shot the whammy. Just the quality of the construction makes it worth the money IMO.
    Never shot the Whammy. Probably several I haven't shot. I quit trying to keep up with every "latest and greatest" gadget that hits the market every year when most are just more of the same.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Big Ben 75

ripcord all the way.simple to set up and full contanment when needed or all the time. love mine best rest I ever had

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben 75 View Post
    ripcord all the way.simple to set up and full contanment when needed or all the time. love mine best rest I ever had
    That's another issue I can't grasp. Full containment. Who needs it. I often hear the remark "I can shoot it standing on my head". Sorry pal, but I have never shot a bow standing on my head or even canted very hard. I have, on occasion, had the wind blow an arrow off a rest, especially when using something like a Star Hunter, but in those cases I probably shouldn't be taking shots at game anyway.

I do know from experience that a lot of people need containment because they pull or torque the arrow off the rest when drawing. This is almost always due to the fact that they are drawing too much weight and can't handle the draw cycle of the bow.

The other thing I don't care for is the long forks on rests like the Rip Cord and QAD. Why so long? It just takes them longer to swing down out of the way, making timing more critical. If they were only 1/4" long that would be plenty. I just might try one of these things someday, but the first thing that's going to happen is that the forks are going to get whacked with a pair of wire cutters and that bar across the top is coming off.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver