Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question about Vapor Trail Limb Driver

ronnzz

Default hi

Quote Originally Posted by flytier17 View Post
    BTW, the Whammy I use for Hunting. 3-D and Spots I use a Spot-Hogg Platinum.

yeah use that before, its amazing i love his features..

southern outlaw

Quote Originally Posted by flytier17 View Post
    I've used one, and didn't like it. Heres why

#1 It doesn't flex. An arrof flexes when it is shot. With a welltuned bow and a wellmatched arrow spine, this will be negligible, but it is still there. When the rest can flex, it helps the fletches dampen the osscilation (archers paradox). Look at the prong rests target shooters use. They have adjustable tension that can be tuned for your setup. Even a dropaway should have this.

#2 Too much palstic. Doesn't have the feel or look of a quality piece of equipment that you can rely on no matter how much it is used and abused. I take good care of my stuff, but I still want a quality rest. I didn't have the limb driver long enough for a real test of this, but my first impression was not great.

#3 That long cord worried me. Every time I went to ress the bow with a bowmaster, it was in the way. Just too much to snag. Not a clean look at all.

#4 Noisy. That rest had a buzz I couldn't find or eliminate at all.

#5 With a wax marker, I checked for clearence. It only supports about 70% of the arrow at its best. The more support, the better. Esp. if the bow has uneven nock travel.

#6 I'm not sure if they've changed it since, but the having to cock the rest i had was a pain. I want a rest always in position for use.
    You must have the limbdriver mixed up with a different rest. The launcher can flex because it is not pulled up with a cord and held tight like other drop aways. The limb driver raises on it own spring tension when you draw the bow. The cord goes slack when your limb compresses, the launcher raises and since it is held up by its own spring it can flex just like a springy or tm hunter. When you shoot the limb pulls the cord tight and drives the launcher down . It has no choice but to get out of the way.
    It works faster than the whammy and is a lot easier to set up, about 5 minutes and your shooting, no bow press needed.
    70% support is quite a bit for a drop away.
    I have been hunting with one for 4 years now and never had a problem with the cord. I keep a spare piece with me just in case and never have needed it. You could replace it in the field with just a couple allen wrenches and a lighter. How easy is that!
    What plastic? Mine has none on it!
    You dont cock a limbdriver to shoot it.
    Mine is not noisy. A trophy taker makes a whole lot more noise than my limbdriver and that aint much.
    It is the best rest out there in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Southern Outlaw is right

I have a Limb Driver on my 2008 Firecat and it's just like he described. VERY easy to setup, no plastic, long support time during the shot, very quick and positive dropping down, very quiet and no fletching/vane clearance issues. The only thing I've done besides the mount and setup was to put some camo moleskin on the forks. It is totally quiet during the draw and the shot. I shoot CX Maxima 350s with Blazer vanes and there's never been any interference or clearance issue. I've even tried shooting FOBs and again not one problem. I too can't say enough good about it.
    08/13 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67.5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

southern outlaw

Yes I forgot to mention I put moleskin on my launchers also. It is completely silent on the draw.

flytier17

Maybe I had an older limbdriver? It definetly had a plastic mount, and was a rigid cock and lock design with no flex. It said limbdriver on it, and it still attatched to the limb of the bow, but there was a small elastic section going into the rest about 1" long that stopped the cord from being slack.

What you described is definetly not like the Limbdriver I had. Yours sounds similar to the Whammy in a way. I'll have to check them out again e=when I go to the shop next. I probably had a different version. I apologise for any misleading that may have occurred. I didn't know about the limbdriver as you described it.

Your version sounds better. I still don't like that huge cord, and it being slack sounds like it could drape into your sight window. I also like the arm to be always up.

Alec

Quote Originally Posted by southern outlaw View Post
    You must have the limbdriver mixed up with a different rest. The launcher can flex because it is not pulled up with a cord and held tight like other drop aways. The limb driver raises on it own spring tension when you draw the bow. The cord goes slack when your limb compresses, the launcher raises and since it is held up by its own spring it can flex just like a springy or tm hunter. When you shoot the limb pulls the cord tight and drives the launcher down . It has no choice but to get out of the way.
    It works faster than the whammy and is a lot easier to set up, about 5 minutes and your shooting, no bow press needed.
    70% support is quite a bit for a drop away.
    I have been hunting with one for 4 years now and never had a problem with the cord. I keep a spare piece with me just in case and never have needed it. You could replace it in the field with just a couple allen wrenches and a lighter. How easy is that!
    What plastic? Mine has none on it!
    You dont cock a limbdriver to shoot it.
    Mine is not noisy. A trophy taker makes a whole lot more noise than my limbdriver and that aint much.
    It is the best rest out there in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

flytier17,

As to your concern about the activation cord falling into the sight area I have never had it do that. The cord clamp on the limb has an offset hole location. I set my clamp so this hole, and the cord, are offset to the outside of the cable guard rod. When the limb drops during full draw the cord goes slack but falls just a little further to the outside of the riser and away from the sight window. Consequently I've never had it interfere with any shots. You can check out the rest at http://www.vaportrailarchery.com/ for more details.
    08/13 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67.5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

flytier17

I guess you could also twist it so it curled outwards too...

Alec

hunt123

Quote Originally Posted by wisecane View Post
    no other input? If you can't tell me about the vapor trail...then suggest something, tell me your ultimate dream rest for hunting (fall away preferred)
    Just switched from a Whisker Biscuit on my Bengal to a Vapor Trail Limb Driver. Awesome rest!!! I'm sorry I didn't get it sooner. All metal except for the solid limb button that holds the string. Adjustable spring tension for the blade, arrow capture blade available (on the Vapor Trail website under "new for 2009 - only $6.88), vertical and horizontal adjustments, extremely easy to set up (a youtube setup video is great), totally silent, no clicking like a QAD. The new capture blade looks like plenty of containment unless you frequently stand on your head while hunting. I'm ordering one tomorrow.

AND the Limb Driver reduced the size of my groups AND it gave me enough speed increase that I shot high at 50 and 60 yds with the WB settings and had to adjust those pins. Didn't notice any speed increase at less than 50 yds though.