Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Serving rubbing on my 08 Bengal cam

hunt123

Default Serving rubbing on my 08 Bengal cam

Anyone have any idea about why my lower serving is rubbing on my cam? It came that way from Martin after they put new limbs on it for me. I'm so new to compound archery that I didn't notice it. But I had our local bow tech looking at it for another reason and he spotted the problem.

He tried a number of different things, primarily moving washers around to try to get string clearance but nothing works. The cam is not crooked. It won't be much longer until the cam's rubbed it clear through and I'll have to get new strings. So I stopped shooting it.

The tech is willing to work on it if someone would tell him what's wrong. He's a big Mathews guy and is one of their test shooters before they bring out a new bow. He works on all brands, but not a lot on Martins so it's got him stumped.

I'd rather not send it back to Martin because it'll take 3 weeks. (one week each way in transit) If someone could tell me what he should look for, it might be an easy fix and I could be shooting again in a few days.

He thought maybe the lower limb might be weak and drawing the bow torques it enough to make the cam rub, but that was just a wild guess after the other stuff didn't work.

flytier17

String or cable? A general desintegration, or one spot particularily? Is the cam showing 3/8-1/2" of groove where the string comes off the cam? (proper rotation) Are you sure it isn't lean? Try perssing the bow and looking for burrs on the cam where the rubbing is. Or any sign of abnormality.

Alec

hunt123

String or cable - I don't know. The bow's over at the shop right now and I'm too "green" to know the difference between them. Sorry to be so ignorant - if the "string" is what your D-loop is on, then it's the cable. It's one spot on the bottom serving that's getting rubbed - an area about 1" long and about 1.5 - 2" up from the bottom of it. When you draw, you can feel it and hear it when you get to that point in the draw cycle. It's almost at the end of the cycle.

Cam lean: It could be but I don't think it is, he checked the top "wheel", it was leaning and he fixed it, so I'm guessing he would have also checked the cam. I'm pretty sure the 3/8 to 1/2" groove is showing. I remember reading about it a while ago and went and checked my bow then.

Burrs: that might be possible. We didn't look for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

i had the same thing happen to me on an 07 bengal. it was rubbing the serveing at the draw length mod. took it back to the dealer he put another mod. on the bow never had any more problems.
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,

hunt123

Quote Originally Posted by bowgramp59 View Post
    i had the same thing happen to me on an 07 bengal. it was rubbing the serveing at the draw length mod. took it back to the dealer he put another mod. on the bow never had any more problems.
    Not sure what you mean. He put a different draw length module on and changed your draw length? Or put another one on with the same draw length?

Coop

Default I believe..

Quote Originally Posted by hunt123 View Post
    Not sure what you mean. He put a different draw length module on and changed your draw length? Or put another one on with the same draw length?
    what he's saying, that he got a new mod.(same draw length that was on it) and put the new one on... in other words just replace the one on the bow with a new one... Hope this helped...

Coop

flytier17

Quote Originally Posted by hunt123 View Post
    String or cable - I don't know. The bow's over at the shop right now and I'm too "green" to know the difference between them. Sorry to be so ignorant - if the "string" is what your D-loop is on, then it's the cable. It's one spot on the bottom serving that's getting rubbed - an area about 1" long and about 1.5 - 2" up from the bottom of it. When you draw, you can feel it and hear it when you get to that point in the draw cycle. It's almost at the end of the cycle.

Cam lean: It could be but I don't think it is, he checked the top "wheel", it was leaning and he fixed it, so I'm guessing he would have also checked the cam. I'm pretty sure the 3/8 to 1/2" groove is showing. I remember reading about it a while ago and went and checked my bow then.

Burrs: that might be possible. We didn't look for that.
    OK, that is the cable that is being rubbed then. Not the shooting string.

if the cam is leaning, it is a lot harder to fix than the idler. I can tell you how to check. Lay an arrow on the side of the cam, parallell to the string. See if it runs parallell to the string. it should be aparrent which way it is leanoing, if it is at all. But, if it were leaqn, I'd think the string would be affected too, not just the cable.

If you can hear and feel the cable being rubbed, it could be the sides of the cable trace are dented inwards, and too small for proper guidance of the cable. this is a hard part to get damaged, but it does happen. Maybe look into that too.

Alec

hunt123

Quote Originally Posted by flytier17 View Post
    If you can hear and feel the cable being rubbed, it could be the sides of the cable trace are dented inwards, and too small for proper guidance of the cable. this is a hard part to get damaged, but it does happen. Maybe look into that too.
    I'm really embarrased to be so "green" but I have to ask or I won't learn. Could you explain what the cable trace is? I'm collecting everyone's suggestions and will give them to the bow tech next time I see him.

flytier17

First of all, don't apologise for being green. We all start somewhere. You should have seen me when I first started. For the first year, I considered arrow rests optional and only for target shooters, bowstring fuzz got slicked down with saliva only, releases didn't exist that I knew of, and sights were only for target shooters. My nock point was a dab of silver paint, and I held my face as far away from the string as I could. These guyse here quickly set me right with their knowledge and willingness to share information and help. Now, I hope i can return the favorr to someone. This forum is here to help people at any level of knowledge we can provide for, including beginners.

Secondly; I have to apologise for leading you astray. I mistyped that. It should read "cable track". That is the groove the cable fits into as it is wrapped around the cam. Thats all, nothing fancy. Sorry for the mistype.

Alec

hunt123

Quote Originally Posted by flytier17 View Post
    First of all, don't apologise for being green. We all start somewhere. You should have seen me when I first started. For the first year, I considered arrow rests optional and only for target shooters, bowstring fuzz got slicked down with saliva only, releases didn't exist that I knew of, and sights were only for target shooters. My nock point was a dab of silver paint, and I held my face as far away from the string as I could. These guyse here quickly set me right with their knowledge and willingness to share information and help. Now, I hope i can return the favorr to someone. This forum is here to help people at any level of knowledge we can provide for, including beginners.

Secondly; I have to apologise for leading you astray. I mistyped that. It should read "cable track". That is the groove the cable fits into as it is wrapped around the cam. Thats all, nothing fancy. Sorry for the mistype.

Alec
    Thank you for your kind words. It just feels embarrassing to ask such basic questions in the company of seasoned experts. I belonged to a construction forum for a while and learned a lot there. After a while, I learned enough that I could help others and I enjoyed being able to do that. Perhaps at some point I'll be able to do that here and at other archery forums.

Cable track: that makes sense. I'll look to see if it got dented in. The bow tech was supposed to call Martin about the problem, but I wanted to check on this forum to get as much help as we could.

Once we get it fixed, I'll post the results so someone else can benefit if they run into a similar problem.