Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Markings on vaines

guitar309

Default Markings on vaines

so I just had my slayer x set up.... ( i have talked about it on here a bit) I didn't know what drop away I wanted so for now I just put a whisker biscuit on it... well i was noticing yesterday that there is a black mark on all of the vanes but more dominant on the same one on all my arrows.. like something is rubbing...

so basically... since I am shooting a whisker I put the arrow with the vain pointing up when knocked... so... trying to make this so everyone understands... I have 2 green vains and a white... and the white is on the top.. so the vane closest to my face.. looks like it is hitting on the rubber part of the shelf.... but I don't think it is... because the bow is shooting great and the the black marks on the vanes are more dominant at the very beginning of the vane... so I was wondering do they put some sort of chemical on the whiskers that would turn my vanes black? just odd its on all 3 vanes but just very lightly except that one vane on all of them...

guitar309

we also put a laser on it and measured and checked everything out and it is close but I don't think it is touching that rubber part of the shelf.

Desmond

Hi there guitar309!

If I may,... I've never used the biscuit , but one of my buddies shoots a Slayer like both of us and uses the biscuit like you. One time I asked him about how that rest works and one of the things he told me was that the proper way to use it is having the odd arrow to go through the black part of the whiskers as shown in the photo. Apparently it is not affecting your shooting. As for chemicals or lube to be use on them whiskers,.. none should be use. Hope this can help somehow.

flytier17

I don't shoot buscuits, I typically eat them

All levity aside, I don't shoot the WB's. But, I recall hearing the same thing. Cock fletch through the black.

Alec

Desmond

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by flytier17 View Post

I don't shoot buscuits, I typically eat them

Alec

Here Flyer, "tune" this one:

Sorry, couldn't resist!! Lol!

dbd870

The black bristles are denser to support the shaft - no fletchings should pass through them and that could well be what is causing your markings.

Post Thanks / Like

You shouold shoot odd fletch up, as others have mentioned. Regardless, you are shooting through a rest that has to make contact with the fletching so some sort of marking is inevitable.

If it is predominately on one vane then I'd have to ask if you have tuned your bow. For instance, if most of the marking is on the top vane then maybe the arrow is leaving the bow slightly nock high. Somethi9ng to check out.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

08BENGAL

You might check your cable clearance also. I shoot a biscuit also but the black mark was from hitting the cable.

guitar309

yes I checked all the clearances... seems like everything is fine and I have been shooting the odd fletching up ... so there is no fletching passing threw the black bristles on the bottom... thats why I was kind of at a mystery.. i will try taking some pics tomorrow and posting them to show you..

I plan on getting a new drop away soon... just hard to pick.. everyone has there own opinion and there are always a few that don't like this or that..

flytier17

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
    Here Flyer, "tune" this one:

Sorry, couldn't resist!! Lol!

Sorry Desmond, but the stupid computer is blocking that one. Can't view whatever you just posted. Could you attach it as a thumbnail for me?

Alec