Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: serving on top cam???

JT38off

Default serving on top cam???

does anyone know why martin does not put any serving on the string around the top cam on the 09 moabs and if im correct some other models and does this affect the string life?

flytier17

I think PSE was the first to try this by marketing their Mach X and their subsidary AR Velocity and Browning Illusion from the factory with no idler serving. Since then, Mathews has followed the idea with their lowerend and even some of their higherend models. After that, Bowtech and Martin and others. None have gone back, so it can be assumed that in general, it works.

The reason why? Speed. Less weight on the string = more speed. Higher IBO makes for a better selling bow.

Will it harm the string? I'd say yes, but not as fast as a camle slide or the corners on the cam loops. Bototm line; it will not be the fastest wearing part of the string, so ultimately it should not be the cause of having a string replaced.

However, it is less protected. Being the very top of the bow, it is a high contact area. Every time you set the bow upside down on a rock as you get yourself ready to climb the stand, or take a break from hiking, it is getting rubbed. Every time your bow bumps something on the way up to the stand, it is usually the first in contact. It should be flush with the tops of the sides of the groove of the cam, but even so it gets worn this way.

Bottom line; wax and lubricate it like the rest of the string, look for burrs on the idler, and be careful to cause it the least contact possible. When it comes time to buy a new set, make your decision then foor getting it served or not depending on how fast you personally have seen it wear out and whether or not you personally think you would like the protection more than speed.

Alec

JT38off

thanks Alec, i was unaware other brands did the same and for sure didnt think the serving would cost one some speed but what you said made sense. i think ill stick with no serving on the idler and see how long this string lasts. im exxxxtremely careful w/ my bow so we'll see.

davydtune

My 08 Bengal is like that. Haven't had any problems at all.

SandSquid

Personally would go ahead mark the string where it contacts the cam throughout the draw cycle, remove it, put it under adequate tension (100#), and serve the area with the thinnest/lightest serving I could find. My 1st choice being BCY 0.014" Halo or Brownell Mini Serving (0.015") I donít mind giving 1 or 2 F.P.S. for the extra piece of mind... Especially on a "high exposure" area such as that. But I'm habitually paranoid. If something is going to go wrong it has a higher likelihood to do so at the worst possible moment. At least for me it does. Remember the "Pebbles and Bam Bam show"? I'm convince the character Bad Luck Schleprock was modeled after my life.

HungarianHammer

Exclamation

Martin cheetahs cable as it comes off the back of the idler wheel , leans aaalllooottt and mine broke a couple of strands after a month and a half so in my opinion the short ATA bows 30" should with out a doubt be served now i havent checked the moab and bengal for such an extrame cable lean but im willing to bet.............................
    Attached Images Attached Images

HungarianHammer

this is what happened after 45 days or about 250 arrows..........
    Attached Images Attached Images

HungarianHammer

PSE bow madness has serving around the idler and has designed the idler to be isometric meaning that the outer side of the wheel has a slightly rounded over edge....nice design and i would say woulld eliminate the need for serving.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SandSquid View Post
    Personally would go ahead mark the string where it contacts the cam throughout the draw cycle, remove it, put it under adequate tension (100#), and serve the area with the thinnest/lightest serving I could find. My 1st choice being BCY 0.014" Halo or Brownell Mini Serving (0.015") I donít mind giving 1 or 2 F.P.S. for the extra piece of mind... Especially on a "high exposure" area such as that. But I'm habitually paranoid. If something is going to go wrong it has a higher likelihood to do so at the worst possible moment. At least for me it does. Remember the "Pebbles and Bam Bam show"? I'm convince the character Bad Luck Schleprock was modeled after my life.

This is what I did last week. I did both the cable and the string where they rub through the CCS rollers and the string where it rolls over the idler wheel. I was noticing a wear pattern and rather than wait till something bad happened I took a preventive measure----and lost no speed.

While I was at it I removed the center serving as it was way tighter than I like and replaced it with .014 Halo. Those G-nocks fit real nice now. You figure it out. The original serving was .021" so I cut it down by .014". That's way too tight for good arrow flight.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

razorjack

My 08 cheetah also had out of the box no serving around idler wheel,proshop said some were like that and martin sent out new string with serving to replace it.And so they did replace it.....