Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: max poundage for hunting?

Smarta Way

Default max poundage for hunting?

I am brand new to this. I have an 09 firecat right now with the poundage maxed out. Is it too loud with this setting? Are the groups more inconsistant this way? I dont know how many turns off the limbs to approximate a certain poundage.

SandSquid

Quote Originally Posted by Smarta Way View Post
    I am brand new to this. I have an 09 firecat right now with the poundage maxed out. Is it too loud with this setting? Are the groups more inconsistant this way? I dont know how many turns off the limbs to approximate a certain poundage.
    Each complete revolution of the bolt out takes off about 3#, for a maximum of 5 turns and 15#.

However I don't think that alone will cure a noisy bow. Besides having it tuned by an experinced bow mechanic, probably the single best thing you can do to quiet down a bow is add an STS.

That being said, go ahead and and back it off all you want. I am of the strongest opinion that poundage is not the key factor in sucessful hunting, shot placement is.... This fall my daughter took a doe form about 15 yards, with her Parker SideKick with the draw weight set at 17.5#. Pefect, clean heart and lung shot, arrow passed right through. Bambi dropped a few yards away.

dbd870

With todays bows if one had a 35-40# minimum type bow that a fair number of the states require I wouldn't be too worried about it. I would keep the range reasonable though; If you're shooting 50lb+ you have KE to burn for deer. I agree with SandSquid - hitting is the key.

whitetailfreak86

Quote Originally Posted by Smarta Way View Post
    No one knows if its to loud but you were not there to hear it. Bows generaly are quieter when maxed out or even backed off a lil compared to bows that are backed off say like 10lbs. This is due to when you shoot the tighter the limbbolts the less vibration and the less your limbs act like rubber bands rattling back and forth after the shot. As for inconsistentsy thats all in you the bow isnt gonna shoot less consistent backed off or maxed out if anything your gonna have a lil easier time judgin distance with a maxed out bow cause its gonna b faster. Last to quiet the bow down u already have a ccs and sts if you have an 09 firecat pro x so you can add string leaches, limbsavers super quads for solid limbs, and a quality stabilizer will all quiet it down and just about anything else you wanna pay for from the wonderful people at sims. Hope this helped and good luck and good choice of a bow Hope my new one is here this week, fingers crossed.

whitetailfreak86

Default Check your states laws!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SandSquid View Post
    That being said, go ahead and and back it off all you want. I am of the strongest opinion that poundage is not the key factor in sucessful hunting, shot placement is.... This fall my daughter took a doe form about 15 yards, with her Parker SideKick with the draw weight set at 17.5#. Pefect, clean heart and lung shot, arrow passed right through. Bambi dropped a few yards away.
    Be sure to check out your states poundage laws for hunting bows I know here in PA we have something like 40lbs or 30lbs at minimum. And not sayin she didnt kill the deer but I find it hard to believe you can get a complete pass thru shootin 17.5# theres people shootin 60lbs+ not gettin pass thrus at that distance or closser.

Post Thanks / Like

FYI here in Pa. the minimum is 35#. The Game Commission makes not state a difference between traditional and compounds. Suffice it to say that about a 25# compound produces about the same amount of energy as a 35# long bow or recurve.

That being said, I'm not sure I'd advocate 17.5#, but I do know that the young lady comes from a family that can shoot well. Really well. I'm sure also that such things as using a narrow cut-on-contact head were used. Still it's not something I would make a habit of. Sorry John.

I would add that as Whtetail said many people shooting 60# or more don't get pass throughs sometimes. I can never figure this out except to say that it happens, but maybe it has to do with poor arrow flight, hittingbone or other factors. I know I've personally blown right through deer with rigs producing less than 40# of kinetic energy. And I mean gone through like a hot knife through butter so anybody shooting 50# of energy or more and not getting pass throughs has other problems they need to address. Like how about shot placement and angles?

Getting back to the original question, I have an '08 FireCat and it came through with limb savers and an STS. If I were to use this for a hunting rig I would add string silencers anyway just because they work. I know this bow is more quiet than my '09 Moab that has the CCS and Sts, but has no limb savers. I'll be working on this one as I plan to hunt with it. String Leeches for sure. The STS isn't the be-all-end-all that some think it is.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

whitetailfreak86

Default Apology!!!

Just wanna apologize bout first post. Reading it back now it sounds kinda snippy and pardon me but pissy. Didnt mean to be rude or step on anyones toes just wanted to apologize so no one thinks im an arrogant jerk. I had just gotten home from work and I think weve all had one of those days before and today was one of those days for myself. Once again sorry and hope that although snippy my post provided some sort of help.

SandSquid

Quote Originally Posted by whitetailfreak86 View Post
    Be sure to check out your states poundage laws for hunting bows
    TN has not minimum draw weight.
    you can get a complete pass thru shootin 17.5# theres people shootin 60lbs+ not gettin pass thrus at that distance or closser.
    Shot placement, my friend... Ohh yeah, and she's the TN Indoor Cub State Champion, and as cool and calm a shooter as I've ever seen, very much UNLIKE her dad. I get "Buck Fever" and start shaking all over when one even walks close!

It was really beautiful, she drew back held aimed and as cool and calm as can be, whispered "Bambi Down" as she activated her release.

SandSquid

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Still it's not something I would make a habit of.
    Understood, and concur, if we were talking "in the wild" this was however a special case as it was on a private game ranch owned by a good friend of mine.
    1,000 acres under game fence, 200+ head of deer in his herd. Nice weekend retreat huh?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SandSquid View Post
    TN has not minimum draw weight.

Shot placement, my friend... Ohh yeah, and she's the TN Indoor Cub State Champion, and as cool and calm a shooter as I've ever seen, very much UNLIKE her dad. I get "Buck Fever" and start shaking all over when one even walks close!

It was really beautiful, she drew back held aimed and as cool and calm as can be, whispered "Bambi Down" as she activated her release.

Bambi down, huh? I like that one. LOL

Hey Whitetail, no offense taken on this end. We're a pretty tolerant bunch here. Maybe I missed something, but I didn't interpret any animosity in your post. We're good on this end.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver