Thread: Nock point on a Scepter 4 X-system

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nock point on a Scepter 4 X-system

I thought I knew what the heck I was doing but, OK time to swallow my pride and ask for help!

I have tried everything! I'm paper tuning and I can't get a decent tear no matter what I do. My problem is that I keep getting a nock high tear. The tear is always about 1.5 to 2 inches.

Bow is Scepter 4 X-system set to 55lbs
    Arrows are Nono XR's 530's @ 27.75"
    I'm using bohning 1.75 shield vanes

The obvious answer is to move the nock down well I've done that to the point where it's 3/8" below where most of us suggest that you start from and to be honest it looks ridiculous that way. To top it off with fingers It still gives me a high tear, if I use a back tension release with the rope wrapped above the nock then I can get a bullet hole. But I'm a finger shooter so that's not much help.

So here are the other things I have tried
    Moving the nock down more
    Moving the nock up
    Changing the tiller in both directions
    Changing the Cam timing in both directions
    lowering the draw weight

At this point I'm beginning to wonder if this might be an issue with the limbs one being stronger then the other? or that the point weight is to heavy giving me an exaggerated FOC. I don't know I'm grasping at straws here.

I'm at a loss if you guys have any ideas no matter how far fetched I'm open to hear about them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by b0w_bender; 03-30-2009 at 05:08 PM.

razorjack

First thing i would try is putting a button under your nock to keep your nock point from moving during release.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestion Razorjack

I think I may have it worked out.
    I recently put on new strings and cables and they must have been a little off. My draw length changed by .25 of an inch. This was enough that the tip of the arrow was being pulled back onto the arrow rest. The point is just a little bigger around than the shaft so essentially as the arrow moved forward the point would drop. The next issue is I think the arrows are slightly weak. So I dropped the poundage a bit (dangit I want a super flat shooting bow) and lastly I adjusted the rest so that the flipper is not sticking out from the arrow and moved the nocks just a smidgen so I would avoid any contact. all that seemed to have rectified the problem I'm back to shooting near bullet holes.

Honest to goodness this whole setup is very finicky. Comes from shooting arrows that are on the razors edge I guess. I think the next dozen I'll move up in poundage.

Post Thanks / Like

The arrow rest looks too high for me, can you lower it?
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows