Thread: Is STS can cause breakage of Limb??

Illyan

Default Is STS can cause breakage of Limb??

Hello Martin Pro's

I have this question in my head after the break of lower limb to a bow friend's and mine, few weeks after we are mounted a STS (Fuse for him and Limbsaver for me) on our bows.

Can you give me a light on this problem??

My bow is a Pantera 2007 and my friend have a C4 2007 Nitrous X (second breack on his bow)

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say YES... I guess that the sudden stop of the string movement can cause more stress to the limbs.I won't use my homemade STS unless i go hunting, which isn't likely to happen soon
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

eldermike

I am not a pro but a long time hacker. I can't see how an STS can harm a limb. But I'll tell you what I have noticed that can. I watched a friend shoot his bow to help him get setup. He drew back hit the draw stop and then twisted the heck out of the limb, because like my bow his shooting string is off center of the limb and pulling beyond the stop twists the limb. So after we set his draw length and draw stop to match it I felt better about how long his bow might last him. But unless someone who is an expert can explain how stopping the string could cause a problem I don't see it.

navydave

Default no but He11

there is no way an STS is going to cause limb breakage.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you guys are right, but i'll keep in mind what Illyan wrote-two bows,two new STS, two broken limbs...
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Illyan

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Hope you guys are right, but i'll keep in mind what Illyan wrote-two bows,two new STS, two broken limbs...
    And two different STS...one Limbsaver String deccelerator (me) and one STS Fuse Stealthshot (friend)...

I think that is the setting of STS (to close of the string)...or a problem on 2007 limbs...

flytier17

If anything, I'd think the STS would cushion the overtravel of the string. If you look at a slowmotion of a bow withoun an STS, it is amazing how far the string traevls beyond brace position. It wrenches the cams in the opposite direction, and the limbs also flex again. The STS reduces that effect.

Alec

davydtune

I have 4 different bows, all with STSs on them, never had a problem. Like stated above there's is a good chance your friend is pulling beyond the wall and that could be tweaking the limbs.

gman57

Would so many manufacturers be incorporating them into their bows right from the factory if there was a problem ? To put your mind at ease just check a new catalog for new bows and see how many come with an STS,check Martins lineup...

Post Thanks / Like

you must have 1/16" gap between string and stopper, if it's resting on the string it does create extra force on the limbs and cams.

09 Bengal
    STS
    CCS
    G5 Expert 2 rest
    G5 peep
    D loop
    WildMan quiver
    SIMS