Thread: 75 grain point

jbowers12

Default 75 grain point

I shoot a goldtip expedition hunter arrow that weights 8.2 gpi. The arrow is 27 inches long. My weight on the bow is 70# 29dl. If i switched from a 100 grain point to a 75 grain. would it make my 75 grain broadheads fly bad. I checked the foc of the 75 grain broadhead and got 8%. I will be shooting 4 in vanes. The arrows will only weigh 350 3/4 with the 75 grain. i was going to set my arrow with the 75 grains to get the max speed to just see what it is with the 350 grain arrow for target shoots and if it shoots good with the broadhead i did not want to have to move anything for hunting.

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience you aren't going to get good arrow flight with either broadhead. Your arrows are not spined stiff enough for that 70#. 5575 is a 400 spine and just won't get it with blades up front. Maybe if you back it down to about 65# you'll get good results. Or if you're not flexible you can still shoot 70# but step up to a 340 spined arrow such as the GT 7595.

Do one of these things and you might get OK flight with the 75 gr heads even at 8% FOC. You won't know till you try.

As is you have all the speed you need. Shooting a bad flying arrow faster doesn't help anything. If you want a faster arrow then shoot a lighter arrow. There are lighter ones properly spined for your setup. Look at the GT UL 300 or 22 series. Easton Litespeed 300 is another.

There are lots of options, but being properly spined is the most important thing.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

jbowers12

I meant to put 28 in Dl and 67# but are you saying that the broadheads want fly as good on 70 as they will on 60 or 65? I will probly lower my poundage down because, last year i shot a 440 grain arrow at 64 pounds and got good pass throughs on ever animal i took. What i dont understand is the goldtip spine chart says i should shoot a 5575 arrow with a 100 gr tip??http://www.huntersfriend.com/arrowhe...pine-chart.htm did they make a mistake? thanks in advance.

whitetailfreak86

Default trust gold tip

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    In my experience you aren't going to get good arrow flight with either broadhead. Your arrows are not spined stiff enough for that 70#. 5575 is a 400 spine and just won't get it with blades up front. Maybe if you back it down to about 65# you'll get good results. Or if you're not flexible you can still shoot 70# but step up to a 340 spined arrow such as the GT 7595.
    Sorry bfisher,

But im going with gold tip and my pro shop ...and as J said the, gold tip site, box and at the pro shop I go to ive been advised to shoot 5575's. I shoot 28" draw and 70lbs. and get great broadhead flight out to and beyond 60yds. although I use rage 2 blades. my buddy who shoots his matthews switchback xt 31.5" draw and 73lbs. was advised to switch to 5575s from 7595's and saw his groups shrink considerably. So in all my experiences with gold tip and all ive read, J is shooting the appropriately spined arrow...But then again arrow is like women......UNPREDICTABLE...do what works for you.
    Last edited by whitetailfreak86; 04-08-2009 at 07:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whitetailfreak86 View Post
    Sorry bfisher,

But im going with gold tip and my pro shop ...and as J said the, gold tip site, box and at the pro shop I go to ive been advised to shoot 5575's. I shoot 28" draw and 70lbs. and get great broadhead flight out to and beyond 60yds. although I use rage 2 blades. my buddy who shoots his matthews switchback xt 31.5" draw and 73lbs. was advised to switch to 5575s from 7595's and saw his groups shrink considerably. So in all my experiences with gold tip and all ive read, J is shooting the appropriately spined arrow...But then again arrow is like women......UNPREDICTABLE...do what works for you.

Hey,, everybody is entttled to their own opinion. Some people experience different results than others, or interpret things differently.

I just happen to know that GT 5575 was at one time intended to be shot at 55 to 75 pounds. Of course nobody has ever told me at what length this was so, or with what cam system. We all know that cams have gotten more aggressive over the years. The GT spine chart has not kept up.

What I am saying is that a 5575 is a .400 spine and the 7595 is a .340 spine. You can use these numbers to correlate to any other manufacturers spine charts and see what is recommended.

As for you getting good broadhead flight with Rage heads? They are not fixed blade heads, are they? Sorry, but this is not a good comparison for somebody that shoots a fixed blade head.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

whitetailfreak86

Default Did he say fixed blade???

All he stated was broadhead neither fixed or mechanical was ever stated. Both fixed and mechanical are both forms of broadheads correct???