Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry fired bow

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dry fired bow

So my friend and i were shooting bow, and he has an '08 firecat, like me, well we were shooting and i didnt realize he forgot to nock an arrow, but by the time i noticed, he had shot, the bow made a very loud nosie, but nothing happened, the limbs did not break, nor the cams. that same day we took it to the local bow shop, and he went over the whole thing for a day, we got a call yesterday saying the bow was completely fine. The dealer said he pulled it back, and no foul noises, but of course he had his machine pull it back. he then shot it ten times without anything wrong. Well that day he called us, we went and picked the bow up, and its shooting perfectly fine, is this normal, or does this happen once in a million?

Desmond

Thumbs up

I add myself to be as lucky as your friend with my last two bows listed on my signature. I dry fired the Tracer one time and the PhantomII two times the same day and nothing happened. But I certainly MAKE SURE I have an arrow knocked on my SLAYER'S. So I guess we can say it happens four in a million!

Post Thanks / Like

what makes some bows blow up on the spot, and others just sit there perfectly fine, like it was shot with an arrow?, i guess this could be a testimony, that martins are the most well built and sturdy bows out there??

Post Thanks / Like

I've dryfired twice my MOAB, because of a bad nock, and thanks God, nothing happened.HOYT claims that AlphaMax can be dryshot 1000 times, but somehow i don't believe it. ....By the way,Jake, is your friends name Alter Ego? Just kidding!
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

haha thanks, and i agree with you, alex, i dont believe there is a bow out there that can be dry fired 1000 times with no damage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jake-the-snake View Post
    haha thanks, and i agree with you, alex, i dont believe there is a bow out there that can be dry fired 1000 times with no damage
    Oh, I don't know about that. I saw one once, dry-fired 5000 times, but I won't bore you with the details inless you want to hear them.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

razorjack

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Oh, I don't know about that. I saw one once, dry-fired 5000 times, but I won't bore you with the details inless you want to hear them.
    That depends on your definition of bored......

hunt123

Do tell. I'm interested.

flytier17

I've seen a HOYT Katera XL dryfired at 80lbs a dozen times in a row, and it was fine. It was a demonstration too. Didn't sound good, but te bow held up fine. They were using an unusually large string though, with added strands. Not sure it needed it, but they did.

Alec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hunt123 View Post
    Do tell. I'm interested.
    All right, you asked for it. First I want to say that what I am going to say is 100% accurate to my knowledge.

The year was 1997 and the event was the ATA Show. XI Archery had a new type of limb technology that supposedly made their limbs almost indestructable. The Limbs were called Fusion Force and were on their upper end bows, most notably on the Nemisis.

XI had a bow mounted in a plexiglass box and a machine inside that held and drew a Nemisis over and over again and dry-fired it. The bow was set up at IBO specs. Every 1500 dry fires the bow was taken out and inspected and new string and cables put on it. The test kept on till the bow had 5000 shots on those limbs. Upon final inspection there was no apparent damage to the limbs.

Now, I had a Nemisis that year, my final year of shooting for XI, and can say that mine was a pretty nice bow. It's too bad a company that could come up with some new ideas like they did had to go under.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver