Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This only Happens on ESPN lol

cb671

Default This only Happens on ESPN lol

I have 1 funny story that happend to me last year while hunting with my friend ... well we were about 60 + yds away from each other set up on tree stands ... I got in my tree about 7am and I can hear him still setting his stand up so I decided to start calling on my Deer Caller*I hunt Sambar Deer Here....well about 30 mins later I can hear something moving in the jungle to the right of me and we both are facing the treeline .... so I keep calling every 5 mins and the sounds get closer and closer ... this time it was coming directly in front of me .... then I hear my friend starts to call and I can hear to movements in the Jungle starting to move in his direction and by now it was on my lefthand side .... so I started to call in a softer tone ... about 10 mins later I figured the deer was heading towards my friends direction ... then I started calling again and as I was on my third set of calls ... I see Branches moving about 20yds to my left and when I finally focused my eye ... I see a Buck ... a Huge 6 pointer walking to the right ... My tree is setup in a little clearing surrounded by bushes 3ft high about 20 yds from my tree with a 10 ft wide clearing directly in front of me...well the I draw my bow and follow the deer when it stops in the clearing in front of me and was standing and looking directly at my direction ... I'm about 7ft up in a tree that has fallen at an angle and As I was getting ready to release the arrow I hear my friend start to call and I see the deer looking in his direction and when the deer finally turned broadside I placed my 20yd pin on his chest and my friend calls again and the deer turns his head and looks in his direction...and just as I released the arrow the deer lifted its front legs and turned to the left and as he was doing that I watched my Arrow fly right under his chest just under under his shoulder....I hear my arrow slam into the ground and the deer running into the thick Jungle ... I was saying in my head ... This only happens on ESPN lol ... Well I'm Glad I missed it completely instead of hitting it in a bad spot and what not ... well we ended the hunt around 10am and I was telling my friend about it and he started laughing .... He didn't hear me shoot but he heard the deer running away .... He was watching another Deer on his right side but around 50 yds away and he was calling it in till the deer I shot at ran and spooked it...all in all it was a good day ... we saw two bucks and several wild boars that morning.

Montey Jessey

thats why I bowhunt alone.

Johnyjag

Right on man loved the story........hey u ever hunt small game with your bow?

cb671

Here the smallest game we can get on land are the small wild boars...besides the wild dogs which we shoot when we get a chance due to they attack and kill the Deer Population as well as the wild boars.

passthrough

that situation happens more then most think. i like the idea that the two of you were good natured about it. turning it into a laughable story rather then a "that was my deer" argument.

to many hunters go about hunting that way.
    they find good sign, heavy deer action, rub lines and scrapes. then expect to be the only one hunting there.
    hunting alone will not salve the problem, planing ahead will.

be in the area before the sign will be. hunt the early season before the rut is in full swing.
    seeing all the tree stands tells you this is a good area, remember that the next season and out smart the rut hunters by hunting the buck and not waiting for the buck to make the sign.

thats why i stalk and not sit all day waiting.
    if you do your scouting and learn deer movement with in the land structure and terrain. you wont have to sit and wait.
    you know where the deer are.... go after that trophy before everyone and his brother are leaving odors out there and making the smarter bucks nocturnal.

Montey Jessey

Quote Originally Posted by Johnyjag
    Right on man loved the story........hey u ever hunt small game with your bow?
    If shooting birds through the head at 35 yards is small game hunting, then, yes, I small game hunt.

passthrough

i`d like to see that shot. got any videos ?

Montey Jessey

Quote Originally Posted by passthrough
    i`d like to see that shot. got any videos ?
    I got videos, but not of picking birds off with my Cougar.

cb671

Quote Originally Posted by passthrough
    that situation happens more then most think. i like the idea that the two of you were good natured about it. turning it into a laughable story rather then a "that was my deer" argument.

to many hunters go about hunting that way.
    they find good sign, heavy deer action, rub lines and scrapes. then expect to be the only one hunting there.
    hunting alone will not salve the problem, planing ahead will.

be in the area before the sign will be. hunt the early season before the rut is in full swing.
    seeing all the tree stands tells you this is a good area, remember that the next season and out smart the rut hunters by hunting the buck and not waiting for the buck to make the sign.

thats why i stalk and not sit all day waiting.
    if you do your scouting and learn deer movement with in the land structure and terrain. you wont have to sit and wait.
    you know where the deer are.... go after that trophy before everyone and his brother are leaving odors out there and making the smarter bucks nocturnal.
    I don't normally go Stalking for Deer thru the Jungles...The Jungles here are too Thick to walk around ...I Hunt on Trees in or near Clearings in the Jungle that are near trails, Scrapes, water puddles etc...I Only go Stalking for wild boars mainly....because they tend to go out in the open more often then deer around here and I walk on the open trails. When Deer season is Closed I go Hunt for Boars and thats when I do My Scouting for Potential Deer Hunting Spots and Setup and clear some trees that I plan on using during the deer season. I Used to Hunt Alone before but It tends to be Hard Work when you end up catching something a couple miles from your Vehicle in the Jungle with no Easy Access to and From lol Especially In Hot, Humid Tropical Weather...and the areas I hunt have limits to the amount of Hunters in that certain Area you are hunting....I Hunt on Military Property...I don't hunt that much outside due to Poachers that frequent the hunting areas make it dangerous...there have been many incidents of people getting shot and 99% where poachers who accidentally shot their partners and many of them has died. Thats why I choose mainly to Hunt by Archery ... the ShotGun areas on the Military Property have a 1 man per hunting area rule unless you are in the Handicap areas or hunting with a minor and the archery has a 4 man per area..Hunting Outside the military areas is Not as Fun and Exciting anymore....
    My Friends and I when we Bow Hunt together we are normally within 100 yds or less of each other or we set up on the same tree and watch different different trails. My Hunting Partners are good sports...we always rag on each other for fun either about the Big Buck we Missed because we shot to high or to low ....or howd you forgot to put a broadhead on your Newly Fletched Arrow before you go n hunt....lol

WA Elk hunter

Default Well got my deer.

Got into my stand this morning about 5:45 and settled in untill shooting light. When the light was good started rattling and grunting in short 20 second spurts about every 20-30 minutes. After the second series I had two small 4x4's in front of me at 20 yards who hung around for about 5 minutes milling around each other looking for me. You guys know how hard it is to pass on these bucks, especially when you have a good shot at them. Well I did pass and when they wandered of I ran another series of rattles and grunts when 2 does and one 2x2 and 3x4 came in running looking again for the mystery bucks that were making all the racket (me). Passed on these two also. My stand sits adjacent to a field and apple orchard and I could see 4 does milling around in the orchard for about 10 minutes. I ran another series of rattles and grunts and the does started to slowly work toward me. The does got to about 60 yards and started to head into the woods ahead of my stand, paralleling my position, when a much bigger buck come running toward them grunting away. The does never got closer, but when the buck was directly in front of me I grunted at him and he came trotting in my direction. I had my Fury with an arrow in it ready to shoot but kept the call in my mouth at full draw. He came to a trail 25 yards in front of me broadside and I grunted one last time to which he stopped. I released hitting him broadside and he wheeled went out of sight and I trailed him 20 minutes later. Found him about 60 yards away. He was a nice mature buck 18.5 in wide, nice meaty beams and g2's 8.5 in long. He had a little kicker on the left which made him a 5x4. He had a good sized body and was in excellent shape. My biggest deer with a bow to date. I put a tape on him at home and he is right at 130". The most important thing was a good shot and clean taking of this buck. Next year I will try to hold out for a bigger one but hey I can't say that I wouldn't take a shot at his twin. John