Thread: 08 firecat,change the bowstring,how to?

chola

Default 08 firecat,change the bowstring,how to?

Does anybody know where I could find a step by step instructions on how to change the bow strings.
    I bought a "like new" used one,and need/want to change the string...just a piece of mind..should I change the cables as well...it didn't come with a manual,that and we have no archery shops around

The bow has had 100 shots through it and it looks fantastic,but I know looks are/can be deceiving(sp?).....anything else I should be aware of,like cracking limbs...according to the previous owner,he bought it in the fall of last year,shot through the winter a bit and then never used it again...he went back shooting recurves...It has never been dry fired,but I cannot say for sure. I don't want to draw it back and have a limb rip my face off.

Thanks for any help and advice

Bob

eldermike

The manual would not help you with regard to changing strings. Even though it's easy to change strings on a Martin (you don't need a bow press) it's still something you should leave to a bowtech IMHO. At least until you know what you are doing, for sure.

I put 100 shots on a string every time I shoot one of my bows, 100 shots is not much use for a bow string. If the servings are in good shape and you don't see any string damage, like broken strands, I would shoot it. Just my opinion.

chola

Quote Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
    The manual would not help you with regard to changing strings. Even though it's easy to change strings on a Martin (you don't need a bow press) it's still something you should leave to a bowtech IMHO. At least until you know what you are doing, for sure.

I put 100 shots on a string every time I shoot one of my bows, 100 shots is not much use for a bow string. If the servings are in good shape and you don't see any string damage, like broken strands, I would shoot it. Just my opinion.

That's what I see, broken strands....or frayed anyway....I can change and then find a bowtech to look it over for me...no better way to learn than doing ones self I figured...thanks for the advice though.

Post Thanks / Like

Chola, you can try bowtuningtips.com .There are some quite useful videos which can help you, including string change.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

chola

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Chola, you can try bowtuningtips.com .There are some quite useful videos which can help you, including string change.

Great...thanks very much Alex...just what I was hoping for

flytier17

If youhave a press, and know how to use it, it is no problem.

Alec