Thread: What kind of release to use??

jbowers12

Question What kind of release to use??

I have a regular fletch 44. caliper release getting repaired. I use a d-loop with it. I am thinking about getting a rope style release, also by fletcher. Its called a fletchmatic.

How does most people hook the rope style release? Under the arrow??
    And what knocking system will work the best? Iv got a deal on the fletchmatic rope style for 25 dollars brand new in original box. I will probably buy it.

What are the advantages and disadvantages in a rope style release?

One last thing. If i have been using a d-loop about 1inch long will i have to make the bow a 1inch longer or what?Thanks!!

jbowers12

Question

My bow is 32 and a quater inches from axle to axle. Is that too short to use a rope release under the nock of your arrow? Or would it pinch the nock?

Post Thanks / Like

32" isn't too short depending on your draw length. I used to shoot a Fletchmatic back in my younger days. Hooking up the rope gets to be pretty simple. After you shoot it a while the rope will take a bend and almost wrap right around the string (YES, under the nock).

The release itself is a good one. One you'll never wear it out. I must of put 50,000 shots through mine before I gravitated to a thumb style release. It does have a few drawbacks though. The higher your holding weight the more it stacks up, or requires more pressure to trigger. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just one you should be aware of. If you set it up right then you should be able to, and should set it off with back tension, but that can be said for any release. It's definitely not a release you want to shoot with the tip of your finger or you'll end up with a big case of target panic.

If it's new in the packaging then it might have a spring trigger in it to replace the hard trigger. You'd be better off to change to the spring to learn how to shoot it right.

The price isn't that bad considering that they sold for $35 back in the mid
    70's.

You will have to set your bow up different. You won't be pulling from a loop so your anchor would be just slightly higher. You might get lucky and the tune doesn't ghange. In that case you'll only have to gang adjust your sight a little lower and maybe lower your peep just a bit. 1/4" is an educated guess. . You probably won't have to change the draw length of the bow. The rope will probably be very close to the same length as the loop you are now using. For a nocking point I just use serving material and tie one on just above the nock.

I've recently seen some slow motion video of what happens when the bow goes off. Because the rope is pulling the string below the arrow that's where the apex is so when the bow goes off the arrow gets driven downward to the apex. Thinking about this might be the reason my bows usually require a slightly higher nocking point than is often use. I'm going to do some experimenting and tied a nocking point under the nock and play with this idea.

Just for what it's worth, I've shot a rope release for almost 35 years. I presently shoot a Cascade model 8. I tried a loop a couple years ago with a TrueBall Short and Sweet release. Didn't matter how short I made the release it still stretched out too much at draw so I abandoned the idea in favor of what I have used for over 3 decades. If I want to shoot a loop I'm going to have to get a different style release than the popular wrist-strap type. Probably, because of my small hands, a Cascade Saturday Night Special.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver