Thread: Draw weight question

chola

Default Draw weight question

Say ya buy a bow from a buddy, and ya don't know that the draw weight is exactly.The bow says it maxes out at 70 pounds and ya want to change it to 55. Do you bottom out the limbs (turn them all the way in) and then back them back out the desired number of turns to achieve the draw weight you are after?
    I believe you also have to turn them out an equal number of turns, meaning turn the limb bolt 2 turns (for example) on the top and two on the bottom ,alternating until you reach where ya want to be....is this correct?

I have a bit of an argument going on with a family member over this

Post Thanks / Like

I'd do exactly what you've written, but may be there's another way. The other guys will correct me, if i'm wrong.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chola View Post
    Say ya buy a bow from a buddy, and ya don't know that the draw weight is exactly.The bow says it maxes out at 70 pounds and ya want to change it to 55. Do you bottom out the limbs (turn them all the way in) and then back them back out the desired number of turns to achieve the draw weight you are after?
    I believe you also have to turn them out an equal number of turns, meaning turn the limb bolt 2 turns (for example) on the top and two on the bottom ,alternating until you reach where ya want to be....is this correct?

I have a bit of an argument going on with a family member over this
    Precisely and just for the record each turn (top and bottom) is equall to about 3 lbs of draw weight, gradually decreasing (not by much) the more you back them out. Usually about 5 turn on the top and bottom will give you about 15 lbs. difference.

chola

Thanks fellas..I just won a box of brew on that little bet